Can coffee make you gain weight?

OffBalance
OffBalance Posts: 3
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
I have been a coffee drinker for many years, mostly black with a bit of sugar. I think it raises cortisol, which I fight with constantly. I'm looking for a healthier morning habit...such as tea. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    It's the sugar causing the weight gain. Not the coffee.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Black coffee is a good kick start to a morning workout for me, i just have to follow it up with lots of water. I used to work in a coffee shop next to a gym and many of the people from there would come in for their coffees before and after a workout.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Coffee doesn't have any calories AND it's a natural diuretic, so you aren't gaining weight or holding water. The sugar probably doesn't help.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    I LOVE my coffee!!! Can you change from sugar to splenda or another sugar alterntative if you need something to make it sweet. In most froms coffee has no calories.
  • tcarter12
    tcarter12 Posts: 7
    I would look at the sugar. Coffee will help keep off hunger. I have a cup of black coffee every morning with no weight gain.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    I'd stop putting sugar in it for sure! Other than that coffee has very few calories (about 5 per cup) and I've heard it boosts your metabolism. But it can dehydrate you so drink water to make up for every cup!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Yep what they said it's the sugar switch to Splenda or some other sugar substitute.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    I've been drinking a roasted dandelion tea. There are different kinds made to taste like coffee. I found mine at a health food store. It works well for me, plus dandelion is good for you. I had to stop drinking coffee because of anxiety issues.
  • Caffeine can increase your metabolism. Cutting out sugar would help.

Even though caffeine is a diuretic, you still get a net gain in terms of water consumption when you drink.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Coffee is actually a stimulant and will increase your metabolism. It's the sugar you're putting in it. Switch to Truvia. Someone suggested splenda and you can go with that or another brand of pesticide if you'd like.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Cortisol is released when you are feeling jittery, anxious, stressed, have an anxiety disorder etc. and I have also read that consistently elevated levels of cortisol contributes to weight gain/ or makes it hard to lose. So if you have issues with cortisol levels then caffeine is probably something to avoid.
    What about decaf? Tastes great still and you can use sweeteners or ... actually... stevia is a great non-chemically derived sweetener.

Hope you've found some good advice here :)
    Cheers,
    Frankie
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I gotta have my coffee in the morning (mother of 3 here). The caffeine will get you moving (metabolism) and burning calories. I do use the Folgers half-caff though and add a couple tbsp of a "light" creamer.
  • lockeml
    lockeml Posts: 2
    If you drink coffee, you should drink 2 cups of water/cup of coffee to replace the water lost from the diuretic of the coffee. As long as your replacing the water loss and cut out the sugar, it should not effect your weight.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Coffee doesn't have any calories AND it's a natural diuretic, so you aren't gaining weight or holding water. The sugar probably doesn't help.
    Coffee does have calories. 2.4 calories per 8 oz. cup.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    I've read that coffee (black) can actually help you burn more calories if your drink it right before a workout, plus it's a natural appetite supressant and diuretic. Try the alternative sweeteners, and if you add milk aim for almond milk- it's the leanest and doesn't have the hormonal affects that soy does. If you'd rather try someting different- Green Tea has many of the same helper qualities as coffee with bonus health benifits and without the jitters.
  • OnlyGodCan
    OnlyGodCan Posts: 91 Member
    MY doctor told me not to ad cream or regular sugar and to drink def. The caffiene makes you hungry. The sugar and cream has too many calories.
  • plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Coffee in itself is good, it's the crap people put into it that makes it horrible, including decaf. The chemicals needed to remove the caffeine? Yuck.
    Coffee won't hinder weight loss, just make sure you don't over do it or you'll burn out your adrenals.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Caffeine does increase your bodies release of stress hormones (namely cortisol) which may affect weight gain.

If you think it may be a problem, try limiting the number of cups of coffee you have per day or cutting them out altogether for 3-4 week periods and see if there's any improvement.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Caffeine, in any form, has the same effect on your blood sugar as refined sugar. It stimulates an insulin response. Insulin, as you might know, is released when your blood sugar gets high. It's function is to take the excess sugar out of your blood. Your body will first store it as glycogen in your muscles & liver. Glycogen is used for short-burst anaerobic exercise (think sprinting). Once those storage areas are full, the rest gets converted into fat and stored for later.

So, too much caffeine can be a problem. It helps to have it with a meal that includes a good mix of protein, complex carbohydrates and even a little fat. Protein especially slows down your body's absorption of sugar.

Caffeine is a stimulant and it can be helpful for exercise, but it is not necessary.

All that said, I have lost over 40 lbs and it took me 5 to 6 months to do it. I drank one 16 oz strong black coffee with two teaspoons of Sugar in the Raw every single day. (BTW, I always had my coffee after my workout.) What can I say? Like many others who have posted in this thread, I love my coffee.

Just remember as you continue on this path: you can consume many things, but you have to do so in moderation.
  • Thanks to all the community responses! I'm taking things into consideration.
This discussion has been closed.