My first deadlift

Options
Had the weight room all to myself last night so I took advantage of doing some things I wouldn't attempt with an audience because I don't want to look like an idiot trying! LOL

First I had no clue how much weight to put on the bar for a deadlift. So i put 10pounders on each side. I wasn't sure how much I could lift and didn't want to hurt my back (old injury from doing ab crunches -lower back). It felt awkward and I had no clue if I was really doing it right even after all the videos I've watched.

Can you lift the bar up off the floor some at all, like on a short platform? The bar was just about touching the top of my sneakers and I think it should be up higher than that. If I had bigger weights it would have been.

So I'll keep practicing. :)

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Had the weight room all to myself last night so I took advantage of doing some things I wouldn't attempt with an audience because I don't want to look like an idiot trying! LOL

Lucky lady! I want to work out where you work out! 5am and I had to wait for weights today!

Definitely raise the bar. Most weight rooms will have some sort of riser for the bar to sit on so it's higher. Bending too low for that bar could really upset that old injury, so definitely raise it up.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will have to look around and see if they have anything I could use. I was using the squat rack for these. I think the safety rails might sit too high, I'll have to check how low they go. The squat rack and I are getting better acquainted...uncharted territory!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I began using the lowest rack position (you could even begin with RDLs or ADLs at the lower weight). Then I got some 25lb bumper plates and was able to deadlift off the floor easier.

I film my deadlift at different angles and compare to videos tutorials (I like Allan Thrall). I look at bar path as well as body set-up and movement. I check my feet, knees, back, shoulders, arms, chest, neck...My cues are tight lats/shoulders down, chest up/neck neutral, arms straight/levers, press through floor, hinge at hips, squeeze glutes...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sometimes you can use those step ups from the aerobics part of the gym to add some height. Or maybe your gym has those full size rubber bumpers that are 10 lbs each.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You can always just lay other plates on the floor, to raise the height, like on the left:

deadlift-small-plates.jpg

This!

Congratulations on trying deadlifts. Please have someone knowledgeable watch and walk you through proper technique. It is too easy to hurt yourself.

I have a love/hate relationship with the deadlift even though it is my favorite lift.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yay! Congrats for getting in there and doing it! I just did deadlifts and squats with the barbell for the first time a few weeks ago. You've gotten some good advice. My gym has 10 pound rubber plates that are the same size as the regular plates, so it made it easy for me.

I agree on having someone watch your form. I had a trainer to show me the first time. Then yesterday, the gym manager just happened to be near me when I started and he helped make sure my form was good. He was just happy to see me lifting heavy because there aren't that many women that do at my gym!
  • miss_aims
    miss_aims Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts! As everyone else said, take it easy and watch lots of videos and practice the movement without any weight. Don't rush it, just let the whole movement flow. I also advocate for recording yourself, it's important to get proper form in line before you start adding more weight and bad habits are already in place.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. I'll watch some more videos. Wish I had someone to show me. I belong to 2 gyms and honestly have never seen anyone doing these!
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Update: Got up early and had the gym to myself again :) I propped the bar up on each end with 2 25lbs weights. I actually upped the weight I was lifting to 50. It was a big help to have a little assistance. I watched some vids last night as suggested and I think I've got the concept and will keep an eye on form. I felt and still feel like I've worked the muscles from my calves all the way up through my butt. I suspect that means I was doing it right? I didn't have any lower back strain so that was good.

Thanks again for suggestions.