Now I can't stop losing weight...

Options
Hey guys, I'm a 5'2" female. I weighed around 125 before I started getting into fitness. I started cutting my fats, increasing protein, etc and my weight dropped off so fast! I recently increased my calorie goal by about 50 calories (1800) and have been trying to focus on either maintainin weight, or gaining it (I'm getting stronger at the gym and am trying to increase what I can lift/push/pull). I've been surprised to see now that I'm still losing weight but what concerns me is I've never fallen below 115lbs before as an adult, and this morning I stepped on the scale to see 114.8. I'm not increasing my calories anymore- 1800 is enough. I do not have a fast metabolism; we tested it on the Adonis machine. Maybe I'm supposed to be closer to 114. What are your thoughts/personal relations about this?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that you should eat more if you want to maintain or gain weight. Why is 1800 a limit?
  • NotoriousLink
    NotoriousLink Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because I'm not a big person. I've always been petite, however the recent metabolism test I took showed that I have a low metabolism. I'm also trying to get rid of lower body fat. It has melted off of my upper body, but my sticky spots are my legs.
  • NotoriousLink
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Correction: my calorie goal is currently 1850 for the past two weeks. It was originally at 1750 a few months ago.
  • NotoriousLink
    Options
    My macro goals are 40%p 40%c 20%fat, but getting my protein over 35% has been a challenge for me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)? It is obviously higher than you think. You can use the calculator at scoobysworkshop.com to see your TDEE. You will probably still need to tweak based on what results you see.

Or you can keep raising your calories (50 per day or so) until you quit losing. If you are losing on 1800 per day, you need to eat more.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Those are just numbers. If you are losing more than you want, don't be afraid to increase calorie intake. I'm in the exact same boat. I'm 5'2" as well and have been floating around 105-115 lbs. for the last year or so.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One of the fitness accounts I follow on instagram is a girl who is under 5' tall and she mentioned in one post that she eats at least 2000 calories when she's maintaining. I maintain on less than that and I'm much larger than her. TDEE can vary wildly from person to person, the true test of TDEE is finding a calorie intake that you maintain your weight on. Then go from there.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump up your Fat to 30%, protein to 30%, and carbs to 40%
  • NotoriousLink
    Options
    I've never heard of a TDEE calculation. Thanks! I'll definitely go try to figure mine out.

jflongo wrote: »

I'm scared to do that! I have saddlebags that I'm trying to burn. Fat deposits on my on my lower body.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a TDEE calculation. Thanks! I'll definitely go try to figure mine out.

I'm scared to do that! I have saddlebags that I'm trying to burn. Fat deposits on my on my lower body.

The fat on your lower body isn't from dietary fat. Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this statement
    Because I'm not a big person.

Why does eating more that 1800 calories per day mean you would be a big person if you did. That's obviously something mental if you fear eating more calories when your body is in fact telling you that you need more. Also, if you have been gaining muscle then your metabolism is going to be higher so that 1800 calories won't be doing much for you. You need to increase until you find your maintenance and not think that a certain number means you are a big person if you eat that much.

:|:|:|:|

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

The fat on your lower body isn't from dietary fat. Fat doesn't make you fat.

^^^ Agree.

OP I'm 5'2 and 46 yrs old and lose weight at 1800 calories, up your calories until you no longer lose.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what you calculate. Your body doesn't care. If you are still losing weight at 1850 calories, that is not where you maintain at this body composition.

• NotoriousLink
    Options
    Yes, @bowlerae, it's very mental. I like the change I see in the mirror, I like how healthy I feel and how much stronger I am now. You can't tell me fitness does not have a mental aspect....

Anyway, I love the feeling that people are now telling me I look strong instead of tiny, cute, little, etc. Those words are synonymous of weak, to me.
    I'll up my calories little by little, but why change my macro ratio from high protein to Hugh fat and carbs? Fat doesn't necessarily make fat, but protein is what I need if I want to keep building muscle, right?
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can't spot train fat.

Eat more build more muscle up top.

Cut fat after to reduce on legs.

Bulk/Cut/Bulk/Cut....life of a recomper.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, @bowlerae, it's very mental. I like the change I see in the mirror, I like how healthy I feel and how much stronger I am now. You can't tell me fitness does not have a mental aspect....

No, they are saying that there's something mental going on with you and calories if you're too afraid to eat more than 1850. Like a mental block of sorts with numbers.

But if you're still losing weight, as others have said, you NEED to eat more. You're working out more, your body needs more to maintain. If you don't eat more you're going to get smaller and you won't see those nice muscle gains you're going for.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat does not make you fat, too many carbs do. I would up the fat (avocado and coconut oil), lower the carbs and hit the weights really hard. Leg/glute day should be your best friend.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you don't want to eat more, then exercise less.

If you don't want to do that but still want to maintain your weight and exercise levels... then I'd suggest slowly eating more until you stop losing weight. Lift weights. Eat at ACTUAL maintenance (forget your 1850 limit) and lift lift lift. Give it time. Like 2-3 years. See if your composition has changed then.
  • NotoriousLink
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    Dietary fat does not make you fat, too many carbs do. I would up the fat (avocado and coconut oil), lower the carbs and hit the weights really hard. Leg/glute day should be your best friend.

Leg day is always killer, but I have definitely grown to love it. I think it's just taking so much longer to see more definition in my lower body than my upper, so the idea of eating more before I even see a big change in my lower body is hard to think about.

I like the bulk/cut/bulk/cut idea. That's a good way to look at it.

To the rude ones, the one mental "something" I have, is issues with condescending people. This community is supposed to support, not attack.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, all the formulas out there are just estimates. If you are losing weight, you are eating less calories than you burn. If you want to maintain your level of exercise, and don't want to lose more weight, you need to eat more. Not to be flip, but no matter what the tests and machines are telling you, the only thing that really matters is what your body is telling you :)

There are plenty of lean, fit woman on this site who maintain their weight eating over 2,000 calories. 1,800 isn't really all that high! I am 5'4", 130 lbs, lightly active and 43 yrs old, and I'm maintaining on 1,700. If I got my butt in gear to get more fit, I could easily need 2,000 per day to maintain my weight.

Macro percentages are mostly personal preference, so do whatever you're comfortable with those. Good luck!