really struggling

Options
been on MFP for a while now only have a few LBS to lose but it's getting me so down so much so that the harder I try to be good the worse I get bingeing daily then having to get rid of the food I'v eaten. really struggling, can't focus so consumed by food just had enough now.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of food meaning purging/vomiting? If so I think you need to seek medical help soon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you forcing yourself to throw up? In that case, you need to contact professionals. Immediately.

Apart from that... It's a well known fact by now that the harder we try to "be good" (deprive ouselves, eat clean, cut carbs, whatever), the more likely we are to cave and eat all the foods when we can't do it anymore.
  • Rooski4622
    Rooski4622 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't throw up
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thank you for advice will try harder do better
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try to stop focusing on "being good". You don't have to be really strict with yourself. You don't have to cut out foods. You can eat what you want, just a little bit less than what you're burning. So that could be 1500-1800 calories worth. You can eat a lot, allow yourself a lot. If you're finding yourself restricting heavily and then binging and purging, I really encourage you to seek some help from someone. I don't want you to blow it off as whatever. The sooner you get help the more successful you will be and your struggles are never too small to get help.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree - if you really are binge/purging then you have a deeper problem than just willpower and calorie counting alone is going to fix. Don't give up. If you only have a few lbs to lose you really shouldn't be giving yourself this much of a hard time. Please go and talk to someone.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, get professional help. Binging is caused from being on the deficit too long and the hunger hormones increase to try and save the body from death, literally. The cure is to eat up to just a slight deficit or eat up to normal mainteance. None of us got fat by eating normal, we got fat by eating more than maintenance.

Eat at maintenance, then eat only at a slight deficit more days a week than mainteance. That wards off the hunger hormones and helps you lead a normal life.

There is nothing pretty about the eat low binge cycle. nothing pretty or special at all.

None of us gets a free pass on eating too low and hunger hormones. No willpower will ever exist for that. The body wants to survive.
  • ejllewellyn85
    ejllewellyn85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, when I gave up calorie counting & started recording exercise instead (not on myfitnesspal) it became less of a drag, less time consuming, less guilt-inducing & saw more favourable results in terms of weight loss/fitness. It might not work for you but anything's worth a shot x
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Perhaps start thinking in the 'why do I do this?'. I read this book by Geneen Roth - Women, Food and God (no it's not a religious book!). It's changed everything for me. It really spoke to me and made me step back and reflect on my thoughts and basically my life.

You, I'm thinking, don't want to spend the rest of life 'trying to be good'. That is not an intrinsic motivator! Wouldn't it be nice to spend your time not obsessing and just living? You deserve it.

Seeking professional supports may help

Hugs