Greek Yogurt

Options
adagolden
adagolden Posts: 146 Member
Ok, so I love love Chobani, but only recently realized that the sugar is fairly high. I read on here that folks buy the plain and add fruit and sugar so I thought I would give it a try. I am trying to eat it this morning and it's tough to get down. I added some frozen raspberries and half a pack of Stevia. The taste is not so great and I am wondering if there is a better way to eat it, perhaps a more flavorful way? I have frozen blueberries and raspberries, so I would love to use those up before getting more fruit...will take any yummy suggestions please.

Replies

• milesforbreakfast
    Options
    I love Chobani plain yogurt and eat it everyday. I usually mix in some granola or oats with it along with fruit.
  • FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    Options
    I love using the Plain fat free greek yogurt in smoothies...any combination I have thought of has been great and filling and refreshing!
  • FitShark
    FitShark Posts: 68
    Options
    Oh, right! I forgot, fruits and granola or grape nuts are another way to enjoy :)
  • skinnygirlwantsout
    Options
    Did you add some "sweet and Low"?
    My nutritionist gave me that tip, she said fresh fruit- I don't know it that will help
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My most frequent breakfast: 2 oz. raspberries, 1 oz blueberries, 1/4 c Go Lean, 1 Tbl chopped pecans and yogurt. I make up bags of berries and freeze them and I make up bags of cereal and pecans.
  • adagolden
    Options
    I can try sweet and low tomorrow, might invest in some granola...i was trying to stay away from extra carbs, but i need more flavor.
  • cymanning
    cymanning Posts: 2
    Options
    Forget any type of real or fake granular sugar, it won't dissolve well into your yogurt. Fruit is always good and I would suggest adding some for texture and flavor, but

A DRIZZLE OF HONEY

makes plain yogurt fantastic!
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I KWYM...I tried it with a smoothie. Just a cup on frozen fruit and Chobani Plain...I could not eat it!! It had no flavor at all...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because it's early and I have to ask, but the raspberries are thawed...yeah?

I find that if I'm using it with fruit I need more sweetener in it. Maybe if you pureed the fruit and mixed it in that way it would help for you.

I also happen to like mine as a dip for vegetables. I mix seasonings into it and love it.

I'm probably going to end up putting cinnamon and sweetener in it to use it as a dip for apples or melon as well. It's a thought that's been running around in my head.
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love greek yoghurt. Only recently discovered the stuff after reading a few posts on here about it and decided to get a pot just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm now completely converted. I enjoy mine with about 25g of oats and a generous drizzle of honey. Yummy
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My most frequent breakfast: 2 oz. raspberries, 1 oz blueberries, 1/4 c Go Lean, 1 Tbl chopped pecans and yogurt. I make up bags of berries and freeze them and I make up bags of cereal and pecans.

Yum, that sounds like a fantastic brekkie. Might have to give that a go too! Thanks for sharing.
  • densiert
    densiert Posts: 17
    Options
    I often have plain greek yogurt with frozen blueberries and raspberries that have been thawed the night before. I do add either a drizzle of honey of a spoonfull of my homemade apple sauce, I can't stand the taste of plain greek yogurt on it's own !

Good luck :)

D.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i can't do the plain Chobani fat free so I buy 2 large containers one of plain and one of fat free vanilla chobani and mix a 50-50 mix of each in a small bowl and add in blueberries.

Not totally plain and bitter but slightly sweetened with the vanilla added in so it is much more doable for me.

maybe you just need a tiny bit of the sweet like me to get past the plain taste.

for some reason I can do the plain Fage brand it is thicker and creamier and a bit less bitter even just eating plain straight with nothing mixed in and I think it even had less carbs and sugars in it, but don't quote me on that.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    I was wondering if they were thawed, too. Haha.

I like to mix the berries up and make more of a puree/topping than just chunks of fruit. I think the juice helps to sweeten it.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, the berries are thawed. I take a pack from the freezer at night and put it next to the yogurt, so I can't forget it! Slivered almonds are good in place of pecans.
  • adagolden
    Options
    yeah, i took them out last night and left them in the fridge in a bowl....love all the ideas, going to try honey next time.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I use agave nectar and put in half a fresh banana and thawed frozen strawberries. SO GOOD! I have to agree with someone else who said that the Fage fat-free plain is easier to get down than the Chobani though.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I like mixing vanilla flavored Greek yogurt mixed with PB2 (google it, it's awesome!), and fresh berries. I like to freeze it and have it as a snack at night...like a twisted version of peanut butter ice cream!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i eat voskos plain and I add Honey to taste to cut down on the processed sugar. :) stevia isn't sweet enough for me after years of the fake stuff but honey and agave work perfectly for me so try one of those two :) and just so you know strawberries are tart so it may make the yogurt more tart. :)
  • adagolden
    Options
    Ok, so finally tried it with a tbsp honey and 1/4 cup bear naked protein granola, absolutely delicious! Thanks for all the ideas, I now have a new breakfast item!