Question about Whey Protein

Options
I have the Designer Whey Protein Chocolate-Biggest Loser brand. I have heard mixed opinions on this.

Does it help you loose weight or gain weight?

Also do I take it before or after a workout?

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I usually take 1 scoop of a whey protein (GNC brand) at breakfast, and another scoop after my workout. I havent gained any weight from it. I havent lost any either, but am in the last 10 pounds and still trying to figure my calories to start losing it.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a different brand, but I take mine twice a day - half a scoop in the morning (keeps me from getting hungry) and half a scoop after my workout. My label tells me how much to take as a supplement for weight loss (1 scoop/daily) and how much to take to gain muscle (2 scoops/daily)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can't make you gain weight. Eating a calorie surplus will make you gain weight. Whey protein will help in the building of muscle and the more lean muscle the more fat you'll burn. Plus protein will keep you fuller longer. That's the short answer. It does so much more for you.
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    You want to take it. It will help spare your lean muscles that burn the fat.

It definitely helps you lose weight and can help meet your protein needs.

I take a half of a scoop before I workout. I work out in the AM so I don't want to workout on empty stomach. If you are a PM exerciser, it is not needed.

After the workout, take it! Add a piece of fruit also.
  • drmastermind
    drmastermind Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Muscle Milk that Costco sells. From what I understand you want protein to help build more muscle and help your muscles repair so after a workout would probably be the best time (that's generally when I use mine) or as a replacement for snacks during the day. Protein does do a good job of keeping you fuller for longer. As for gaining weight, protein does have calories so if you don't compensate for it in your calorie counts you can gain weight from it just like you would anything else.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Whey protein can't make you gain weight. Eating a calorie surplus will make you gain weight. Whey protein will help in the building of muscle and the more lean muscle the more fat you'll burn. Plus protein will keep you fuller longer. That's the short answer. It does so much more for you.

This exactly. In isolation whey protein won't help you gain or lose weight. Where it can come in handy for weight-loss purposes is as a supplement/substitute for food sources that contain more calories.

For example: if you find you need to consume 20g more of protein for the day to meet your healthy protein requirements, but you have already eaten 1400/1500 calories. A protein shake will give you 20g protein in 100 calories, which is more protein per calorie than you can find in most other foods.

But a protein shake shouldn't be your PRIMARY source of protein, if it can be avoided. Most of your protein should come from lean meats or nuts/legumes.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    What do you guys mix it with? Because the stuff I have, I just added it to water and it literally makes me gag.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    What do you guys mix it with? Because the stuff I have, I just added it to water and it literally makes me gag.

Water, 90% of the time. Whole milk only if I need the calories. What stuff do you have? Protein shakes come in gag-inducing to droolworthy desserts. I've had cookies-cream flavored protein shakes in water that I would've sworn was Haagen Daaz mislabeled. :laugh:
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories to "spare" I will mix mine w/ Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (40cal / cup). It's delish!
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% gold Whey (current flavors: Mocha Cappuccino & Extreme Choc) and Casein (current flavor: Choc Cake Batter).

I will add to water if I don't have extra cals for the almond milk. I don't mind the flavor w/ water (it's not gag inducing) but then I'm not drinking it for the "flavor" anyways.

• slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have 1 scoop of whey protein isolate mixed with milk after any intense workout. According to my RD, it gets absorbed right into the muscles to help prevent your body from using muscle stores to replenish all the glycogen you've lost by working out (or something ... I think I have that right). Anyway, I think it's great for recovery, particularly now that I'm training for a tri. Also, helps prevent muscle soreness, so what's not to love about that.

And like someone said, the protein won't make you gain weight. Excess calories will.