Diet Soda Alternatives (with a stipulation)

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Other than the sugar, exactly what is in soda drinks that is bad for you? What about carbonated water like LaCroix?
    Is that bad for you?

There is no sugar in diet soda.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    What about the sugar-free versions of the syrups made for adding to coffee or making Italian sodas?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Now my teeth are going to hurt when I drink this Pepsi Maxx I broke down and bought after months. Thanks OP.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Is it the flavoured beverage you miss or the carbonation? If it's sipping on a carbonated beverage that you miss, try sparkling wine? ;) Or just use a straw to avoid your teeth...
  • elphie754
    Options
    What about the sugar-free versions of the syrups made for adding to coffee or making Italian sodas?

Most still have citric acid. She said it's not the sugar that's the problem.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Cucumber slices? Chopped fruit in your water?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    lacroixwater.com/nutritional-faqs/
    I like the store brand of La Croix, especially the coconut flavor. I don't think it has any acid in it. The ingredients are shown in the link. Because its sparkling, it feels like drinking a soda.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Most still have citric acid. She said it's not the sugar that's the problem.

Yes, I saw that (although it seems pretty clear that she's looking for a calorie-free or very low calorie alternative to diet soda that doesn't have citric acid. If calories don't matter, there are tons of things she could drink without citric acid. Like milk shakes. Of course, that has lactic acid, so I'm not sure that's really fixing the perceived problem.) I just never thought that those syrups - which don't taste remotely acidic or even "bright" -- would have citric acid, but I went and looked at the ingredient list for sugar-free Torani and DaVinci syrups on Amazon, and you're right! It does look like it's a pretty small amount, as it tends to be down among the preservatives on the ingredient list.

• mburgo108
    mburgo108 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mio is actually one if the most horrible things to drink. Fast && convenient as it is, it has too many chemicals in it. When I was working at Walmart, whenever we would get a return of it or it caused a messy spill, we were instructed to label it but it had to be confiscated with the broken light bulbs due to similar ingredients.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I brew herbal loose leaf teas and refrigerate in the summer. I then sweeten with stevia and enjoy on ice. There's an herbal chai that is heavenly iced, with a touch of coconut milk. Adagio teas sells sample sizes making it easy to try flavors.
  • elphie754
    Options
    mburgo108 wrote: »
    Mio is actually one if the most horrible things to drink. Fast && convenient as it is, it has too many chemicals in it. When I was working at Walmart, whenever we would get a return of it or it caused a messy spill, we were instructed to label it but it had to be confiscated with the broken light bulbs due to similar ingredients.

It also requires a hazmat placard when shipped in large quantities.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Checking in, yeah lots of things have citric acid in it that you wouldn't think of sigh... Needing something low or calorie free to replace the soda, very interested in the cold herbal tea idea, going to give that a try first and then go from there :)

Thanks again everyone!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you like ginger ale, you can make a ginger "iced tea". Just pour boiling water over some slices of fresh (peeled) ginger root. Steep, cool, drink!
  • elphie754
    Options
    What about home brewed iced tea? You can buy flavored teas if you want. I personally love some of teavanas loose leaf tea.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    What about home brewed iced tea? You can buy flavored teas if you want. I personally love some of teavanas loose leaf tea.

I've never tried making this before, going to look into how to do it, thanks!
  • elphie754
    Options

I've never tried making this before, going to look into how to do it, thanks!

Teavana makes an actual loose leaf iced tea pitcher. Looks like this:

uagzpy0zdtwb.png

You basically boil hot water, pour it in the pitcher, put the tea leaves in for the time specified, take out the middle piece (the used leaves) and then put the pitcher in the refrigerator. All together it takes maybe 10-15 minutes depending on how long it takes to boil water.

Best 25 dollars we ever spent lol.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Quick Update: Spent a ridiculous amount of time in the tea isle at the store reading ingredients labels and walked out with like 8 boxes lol. There were also directions on how to make cold tea, so I'm going to try it this afternoon and think I've found a great diet soda substitute (wanted something cold, sweet and phosphoric and citric acid free and this should work). Thanks again everyone for the suggestions !
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Zevia has citric acid but not phosphoric, so you'd be cutting out 50% of the problem if you allowed yourself maybe a can a day? Haha I know the struggle, I was a DC junkie too. I drank Zevia for a while (it's really pricey) and loved the ginger ale, but never tried the "diet cola" kind. http://www.zevia.com/flavors
  • LynnOBrien2015
    LynnOBrien2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I put frozen fruit in my water bottle in the morning and add water all day great fruity flavor no chemicals!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    If you like ginger ale, you can make a ginger "iced tea". Just pour boiling water over some slices of fresh (peeled) ginger root. Steep, cool, drink!

We boil sliced ginger in water, add lemon and then chill. SO GOOD.