What is my goal weight???

Options
Although the MFP weight tracker doesn't show it (just found MFP last week and I had already started eating better and getting off my butt), I am officially down 25 pounds. I started at 205 and hit 180 on Saturday.

At the lake this weekend, everyone commented on how much better I looked. The beer belly is gone, I am down to a size 32 waist and I have added some muscle with the weights. My goal is to get to 160, so another 20 pounds to go. Everyone says I should not lose any more and my wife has been telling me that all last week. I believe 180 is still overweight for my height of 5'8".

My plan was to get down to 160 by eating lean and exercise. Then, to add more weight to my weight training and add back some good muscle to around 165. Is 165 too skinny? I sure do not think so. BTW: I am broad framed.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI chart you would still be in the overweight category at 165lbs. Normal body weight for someone 68 inches tall is 125-163 lbs.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Have you been on the BMI tool? What does that say for your height/weight?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for everyone depending on what your goals are, but a good way to find a healthy range is to calculate your BMI. If you go to a site like this: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ you can easily calculate it.

Also, here's a chart from Rush on the "ideal" weight and height. http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

I hope this helps. Again, it's different for everyone... and if you plan on building more muscle, you might weigh more than 160, but you'll look like it! :)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You can edit your ticker and show the full 25. I lost half of my 40 before I joined here and I love seeing the higher (accurate) number on here. You just have to check-in, edit entries, and add your starting weight if you want it reflected.

Great job on your loss, and I say......get to the level you are comfortable at and don't worry so much about the number on the scale. Best of luck!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If you're 5'8" you will look great at 160!!! I have a friend who is just 6ft and he's been doing some amazing stuff transforming his eating and workouts and is down to 157!!! He looks terrific, and although that might be a little extreme, I'd say 160 on you would look awesome! Just see where your body ends up... that's what I'm doing now that I'm close. I'm going to keep going at this pace until my body says stop. I'm still JUST overweight according to BMI, but won't be in two pounds. I'm hoping to lose 10 more, so we'll see!

Good luck! You're on the right track!!!
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The BMI chart has never been proven completely accurate. You would have to go and really test how much fat, bones, msucles, ect that you have to determine what your BMI actually is. if a lot of your weight is from having your muscle that you probably aren't considered over weight for your height.
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    Ya, the BMI tools all say I am overweight at 180. They all recommend around 160 for a max BMI of 25.

I am going to continue on to the 160. And the compliments from them all and the smaller shorts I had to buy (my others would have come off in the lake) are motivation for the next month!
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    You can edit your ticker and show the full 25. I lost half of my 40 before I joined here and I love seeing the higher (accurate) number on here. You just have to check-in, edit entries, and add your starting weight if you want it reflected.

Great job on your loss, and I say......get to the level you are comfortable at and don't worry so much about the number on the scale. Best of luck!!

I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Every time I do mess with it, it jacks up all of my recommended calorie stuff.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    We have similar stories. I am 37, male, 5' 8" tall, and started my weight loss at 202 lb back in March. I lost about 25 pounds by eating healthier and exercising more with a combination of running, swimming, and weight training when I found MFP a couple of weeks ago. I am now at 170, wearing size 32 pants for the first time in 15 years, and thinking my target is about 165. I will adjust my target weight depending on how much visible belly fat I have left then. If you go by BMI, our target is to be under 164.4 to be in the healthy range, but I don't put too much into BMI since I too have a larger frame. I am looking more at body fat percentage as a guide, where I think I would like to get to about 12% (currently at about 15%). So, I don't think 165 is too thin at all. You will probably have good muscle definition...including in the abs.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Perso my BMI sould be between 128 and 97 pounds. What I am doing is evlauating every 5 pounds if I am where I want to be. Yesterday I just had te reset my ticker to lose another 5 pounds. BMI is not right or perfect for everyone. You can also une Body Fat %.

Good luck
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    I think it all depends on what YOU think it's right for you, and what you feel good at without going to any extremes. If you feel like you can go down more without over doing it or looking sick athen go for it. I also think that sometimes you need to take in consideration others opinions because we often look at ourselves different than what other people see us. keep up the good work!
  • DebbiHE
    DebbiHE Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the chart reference - it's really helpful!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI chart you would still be in the overweight category at 165lbs. Normal body weight for someone 68 inches tall is 125-163 lbs.

This is for a female. I would think that a male would have a higher weight range.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You and I seem to be about the same body-wise - 5' 8" and broad framed. I'm currently 194 and my goal weight is 175, although I'm not sure if that will be my final goal weight. But I think once I get under 180, the focus will shift more to muscle building rather than weight loss. It seems like you have the same thing in mind. I say just go by what you think is best. I mean the number on the scale is just a number. It doesn't always tell the whole story on your current fitness level.