a question on sugar count

Options
Is the 24 a day sugar average or is that for diabetics? I go over with just what I eat for breakfast. Is this normal? What is that measurement i.e. grams? How do you measure that in your foods to equate with teaspoons or tablespoons?

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's a common question. The sugar count on here is the USDA's recommended allowance. It's hard to calculate a daily limit for sugar because sugar is not a necessary nutrient. Our bodies don't NEED any sugar. So they keep the number extremely low. One ripe mango can almost equal the daily number. I don't keep it on my tracker bar because it drives me crazy to see myself always going over even though I don't eat any refined sugar and only occasionally have treats made with honey.
  • DedicatedDiva
    Options
    Is the 24 a day sugar average or is that for diabetics? I go over with just what I eat for breakfast. Is this normal? What is that measurement i.e. grams? How do you measure that in your foods to equate with teaspoons or tablespoons?

I've been told by my trainer to stick to 50 a day, 60 when working out. Keep sugars from natural sources...not refined (cakes, cookies, etc.) as much as possible.
    Good luck!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the sugar measurement, but I also know that there is no daily recommended amount for sugar (it gets counted with your carbs). I honestly just ignore my it (as long as it's natural, like fruit). If it's added, I try to avoid anything with less than 10g per serving (though sometimes I will allow a little more haha)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To my understanding, the closer you are to your goal weight, the less the goal for sugar becomes. I am allowed 37 grams a day and 1870 calories a day. That is because I have 100+ to lose. But it can be very difficult to track sugar. Diabetics are concerned about sugar but they really have to address carbs because any carbs that aren't burned are inevitably converted to sugar so even if they haven't had any sugar all day, their blood sugar could still jump because of the carbs they ate. I tried to track sugar for awhile too, but very quickly learned that it is nearly impossible to meet the sugar goal without going over and still meet my calorie goal. I would recommend paying more attention to the carbs and less to the sugar.
  • SUZANNEGAY
    Options
    Thank you for the support & encouragement. Good luck to y'all as well.