Hungry soon after eating

Options
I've noticed lately that I become hungry soon after I eat breakfast. I usually have 2 eggs on whole wheat toast. Within an hour I'm looking for something else. I do drink a lot of water. I find that I pack on my calorie allotment early in the day and when dinner time comes I have less calories than I would like left.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hmm, it's usually people eating cereal who get hungry right after breakfast and eggs is the common recommendation.

Maybe add some veggies to your eggs for the fiber and bulk? I especially like peppers & onions. I've also added spinach, swiss chard, or bok choy. These are all very low calorie.

Also try a higher fiber bread.

What's your weekly weight loss goal and how many pounds do you have to lose? It's common for people to set overly aggressive goals, causing them to be unnecessarily hungry.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I know the fat trick doesn't work for everyone, but I find some cottage cheese or a piece of string cheese (or two) to be helpful. The other night I was going crazy and starting literally to shove handfuls of goldfish crackers in my mouth, when I thought, wait a minute! and grabbed a piece of string cheese--and that took care of that.

I also have found coffee with just a bit of half-and-half to be helpful mid-morning. Or try black coffee or some flavored/herbal hot tea without sugar for 0 calories. It keeps your mouth and hands entertained till it's time for lunch.
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been adding veggies to my eggs (mostly egg whites). Asparagus or peppers and onions. Sometimes spinach. And a slice of Swiss cheese. So far it's been filling.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you are too long on a deficit your hunger hormones increase. Everyone needs to eat normal at least one day a week to help prevent that, and also not too deep of a deficit. There is some hunger with the slight deficit too, but stress can make it worse. The worse stress is not enough sleep. Reduce stress and get sleep will help, and finding that right balance between the deficit and maintenance will also help.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast and chocolate cream cheese, with a banana for breakfast around 6:30am. I get hungry about 2 hours later, and have a coffee. Then I eat a dark chocolate bar of some kind (Kashi chia bar, or a Special K Nourish most days) at 10ish.

That holds me off until lunch, especially if I get in a lot of water.

Coffee really does it for me. And because I have a sweetener and some unsweetened cashew milk in it, my cup is only 10 calories at most. I could have 10 ;).

But on my days off, when I have more time, my favourite breakfast is a piece of toast with half an avocado, some sriracha, and tomato slices. Then a serving of 0% Greek yogurt with a couple berries on the side. Keeps me SUPER full, sometimes even until late afternoon.
  • nwhiteford55
    nwhiteford55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I like your idea for breakfast.
  • nwhiteford55
    nwhiteford55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My weekly weight lose goal is 1.5 and need to lose 25#. I do know part of the problem is stress and insomnia, but hard to fix either one of those.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    My weekly weight lose goal is 1.5 and need to lose 25#. I do know part of the problem is stress and insomnia, but hard to fix either one of those.

Try reducing your goal to 0.5 - 1 pound per week.

The weight loss rate recommendation to minimize muscle loss is no more than 1% of your body weight loss per week:
    • 0.5 lb per week if you have less than 25 lbs to lose
    • 1 lb per week if you have 25-50 lbs to lose
    • 1.5 lb per week if you have 50-75 lbs to lose
    • 2 lb per week if you have 75+ lbs to lose

Exercise and sleep hygiene helps me with stress and insomnia. Maybe start a new thread about that.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    sleep is definitely important. I am ravenous when I'm sleep deprived.
  • ElliotM6
    ElliotM6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue (and while it may not work for you or suit your lifestyle) I just have breakfast quite late, about 3 hours after I wake up.