who says walking doesn't work

Options
koylefam
koylefam Posts: 142 Member
So I have spent the last month exercising and am curently down about 12 lbs... my starting weight was 173 and I am sitting a 161 right now after working for a month. And yes I did most of it logging food and WALKING... yes Walking. I have had both my ACL's replaced due to athletic injuries and can't run until I am under 150. So I found a walking DVD by Leslie Sansone... and yes it works... you can pick your miles up to 5 and they are 12 minute miles.... with combinations of side steps, kicks, kick-backs(hamstring curls), knee liffts and arm movements so you are working large and small muscles together..... My plan is to get some weighted hand gloves to up the intensity.... After dropping 12 lbs I now am on days 3 of the 30DS and I also add 2-3 miles of my walking video to it..... SO if you are like me and can't run yet.. (this time last summer I was pounding out between 5-13 miles running) I HIGHLY reccommend this....I never would have believed it until i watched it work for my Mom-in-law.... YES WALKING WORKS!!!!

Replies

• JVWard98
    JVWard98 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone's walks! I have been doing them for a few years now and I personally own 18 of her workouts lol Love her stuff. Have a new one coming in the mail this week = )

Keep doing what your doing!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    So I have spent the last month exercising and am curently down about 12 lbs... my starting weight was 173 and I am sitting a 161 right now after working for a month. And yes I did most of it logging food and WALKING... yes Walking. I have had both my ACL's replaced due to athletic injuries and can't run until I am under 150. So I found a walking DVD by Leslie Sansone... and yes it works... you can pick your miles up to 5 and they are 12 minute miles.... with combinations of side steps, kicks, kick-backs(hamstring curls), knee liffts and arm movements so you are working large and small muscles together..... My plan is to get some weighted hand gloves to up the intensity.... After dropping 12 lbs I now am on days 3 of the 30DS and I also add 2-3 miles of my walking video to it..... SO if you are like me and can't run yet.. (this time last summer I was pounding out between 5-13 miles running) I HIGHLY reccommend this....I never would have believed it until i watched it work for my Mom-in-law.... YES WALKING WORKS!!!!
    I totally agree with you. I myself also have the same DVD, and I have a secret crush on Brittany...lol. My wife does that DVD exclusively and she has dropped 18 pounds to 123. I have dropped 40 so far. I love it because you can take it with you when you go on vacation, and you do not need much room to do it at all. So yes, walking does work and I have 58#s loss in 3.5 months to prove it. Now, we're cooking, we're cooking with gas. lol.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    congrats, keep up the good job. I love walking2, thats all i do at the gym or on trails.
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I had knee surgery last summer, and can't do a lot of exercises. I walk everyday, and did a walk video last week. I was surprised at how much walking you can do just with a video. I was so sore when I was done, but I felt really good. I'll have to try Leslie Sansone's vidoes.
  • kynichol21
    kynichol21 Posts: 87
    Options
    Walking is one of the best exercises we can do. Way to go!!!
  • koylefam
    koylefam Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I didn't know she had so many videos....What are the ones you are all doing... I would like to build my collection
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I agree! I :heart: LS dvds. I've lost most of my weight from walking! I have 3 of her dvds.
  • susangell
    susangell Posts: 7
    Options
    bump
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I didn't know she had so many videos....What are the ones you are all doing... I would like to build my collection
    The 5 mile DVD you have with Tom, my man...lol. The Ultimate walking collection with 1-4 miles compilation. One mile with ab exercise. Those are the ones I have. I also walk to whatever she has on the cable fitness channel. Now it is time for the boost. Now if there is any reason you should not jump off with me...lol
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used walking to help me lose my initial 50 pounds.

I have never heard anyone say it doesn't work though. I know many who walk.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs back a few years ago just by eating right and walking.
  • dtleh
    dtleh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love taking walks...it helps me avoid my stress eating. I'm a SAHM of 2 kids under age 2 and taking a walk seems to calm everyone down. Keep it up!!!
  • JVWard98
    JVWard98 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here is what I own:

Walk Your Belly Flat 3 Mile Walk
    The Walk Slim System
    Power Series Walk & Jog 2 miles
    5 Mile Fat Burning Walk
    The Burn Body Fat System
    Walk Away your Waistline
    Walk Away The Pounds for Abs
    5 Day Slim Down
    Walk-N-Tone
    Walk Away The Pounds Express Advanced Walk 3 miles
    Upper and Lower Body Shorcuts
    and a 1 and 2 mile regular walks from her older dvd's which my sister has but you use the stretchie band with those as well.

I ordered The Big Burn 2 miles of intervals and it should be in anyday now. I think the Walk Slim System is my favorite because it really works you out and a big sweat but they are all great!! Love the intervals too = )
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did someone say that walking doesn't work? Walking is great exercise.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I can run, do sprints, etc but I PREFER walking.

I've almost reached my (weight loss) goal and now new goals have shifted toward muscle retention/fat loss. By lifting heavy and walking 45 minutes at a brisk pace (3.5 mph on the treadmill) I will put my body in a fat burning "zone" without wasting precious muscle that long distance running would.

Sprints aren't bad (also) but with my newfound "friend" (plantar fasciitis) I'l stick with my leisurely, fat burning walks. I agree with the OP.
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    I love to walk. I'll have to try these dvds. Please feel free to add me as a friend on mfp. The more encouragement/support the better. Have a great day.
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options

Which of her dvds do you use/recommend? Thanks!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I have too many! But I gotta have at least one of each "variation" ...... right?

My favorite "solo" Leslie DVD - Walk at Home 3 Mile Slim & Sleek Walk Plus Pilates. MUSIC ONLY option & lots of different moves.

My favorite "booster" Leslie DVDs: Walk Away the Pounds - Walk Strong (NOT Express version). This is a CIRCUIT workout. A few minutes walking, a few minutes with weights ... (repeat). This is a nice challenge with 5 pound weights.

Another "booster" Walk Weight Loss Bootcamp. This is Leslie solo. Uses a figure 8 stretch tube. Nice because the cool down is chaptered separately - very handy. It's walking, jogging, toning .... (repeat). I'm able to do all 3 miles without boredom.

My favorite "group" Leslie DVD 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk. Okay, this has an optional booster - light hand weights. Mile 2 is led by Mary Kay (I love Mary Kay) - really excellent (quite challenging).

Netflix has more than 30 Leslie videos for rent (mail option). Many newer ones are not there - but it's nice to "test drive" different workouts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To Jambs5 ......

ExerciseTV.com has at least one Leslie Walking workout to try for free.

Start! Walking 1 Mile (about 20 minutes long) is still available .... I'm not sure about the 2 Mile version (30 minutes). This workout is Leslie by herself. Many of my favorite Leslie videos are Leslie with a group.

collagevideo.com is great - you can watch video clips of many workouts.

Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) - are older videos made for VHS. There are some good workouts here too. Just a note - these are not chaptered.... you can't "skip" miles with these. Look for WATP (cheap) at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning.

Good Luck!
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Diet and walking is how I lost 67 lbs since Oct 2010. I started walking 10 minutes, now I walk 60 minutes at lunch and two hours on Saturday. It is the main form of exercise for me. Yes it works.:wink: