Keto Diet

Options
How do you know when your body is in a state of Ketosis? And how long does it take to get there??

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    ebay.com/itm/Advanced-Professional-Police-Digital-Breath-Alcohol-Tester-Breathalyser-Analyzer-/111982829200

@Rubnotic I use this $15 meter to check my acetone levels most daily as to a YES/NO am I in some state of nutritional ketosis.

To know the blood ketone levels of useful ketone bodies I use the Precision Xtra blood glucose/ketone meter.

https://abbottdiabetescare.com/precision-xtra
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You can buy urine-based keto tests, found in the diabetic aisle of drug stores. They are cheap and it's a good baseline. After a while, you begin to get familiar with how you feel in ketosis vs. not in ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1236978/breathalyzer-for-ketosis-check/p1

This is an old tread that covers what I mentioned as well as what @ogmomma2012 mentioned about tracking ketone production.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used ketosticks at first, though I've since read they are not the most reliable. I don't measure much now, but I have SO many of the others keto indicators and am losing weight at a great pace I don't worry to much. I believe I am in ketosis as I keep my total carb under 30 grams a day. As for how long it took me, I started to notice the keto indicators a few weeks in.

The other keto indicators are worth it, even if I'm somehow not, it wouldn't matter to me. I have NO hunger at all, I go 16 to 18 hours between eating (not even snacks, just tea/water). Absolutely no cravings of any kind! I have so much energy now, I went from about 6K steps a day to over 22K steps a day in just a few weeks. I can exercise on an empty stomach and it doesn't effect me. I'm sleeping so much better, not waking up in the middle and when I do wake up for the day, I feel refreshed and well rested. And a very odd note, but my hair doesn't get even a little greasy even days between washings with all the activities I do (it used to. I had oily hair).
  • KHowe78
    KHowe78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just followed the old thread snd purchased a alcohol breathalyzer. Thanks for the tip.