confused about which raw veggies are safe!

Options
Hi,

I recently got a nutribullet as my old blender couldn't handle veggies and am replacing breakfast with a veggie smoothie.

However, some of these smoothie recipes are very confusing, I've seen some that blend raw sweet potato and other things that I thought were unsafe raw? Also raw kale is it safe or not? I tried googling it but only health and fitness sites come up, no well know health or news sites say raw kale is bad......can anyone give me a reliable source on this?

Replies

• Editme12
    Editme12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of any raw veggies as "bad" or unsafe, only that they may be kinda gross in their uncooked state. I wouldn't want to eat a potato like I eat an apple. I've definitely had raw kale, it's used in salads sometimes.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would avoid root veggies that aren't peeled & washed well due to possible botulism spores, other than that, I don't know of any that you can't add, but not really sure why you would "want" to add them. I would stick with things that we naturally eat raw.
  • jmilner89
    jmilner89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think most veges are eaten cooked for a taste/texture thing, I'd wash anything I wasn't peeling, kale is fine raw, we eat it in a slaw most days :)
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've eaten raw sweet potato...?
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I guess death is on the way, lolz
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

considering potatoes are generally poisonous raw i don't think OP is being crazy.

"Two toxic chemicals (steroidal glycoalkaloids) solanine and chaconine are naturally present in potatoes and are important components of their resistance against pests and pathogens. Cooking the potatoes destroys the bacteria. Eating the potato raw may cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, fever and an upset stomach. "

But yes, OP, certain foods should not be eaten raw. I've used this list in the past:

http://vegpeace.org/rawfoodtoxins.html

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

considering potatoes are generally poisonous raw i don't think OP is being crazy.

"Two toxic chemicals (steroidal glycoalkaloids) solanine and chaconine are naturally present in potatoes and are important components of their resistance against pests and pathogens. Cooking the potatoes destroys the bacteria. Eating the potato raw may cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, fever and an upset stomach. "

But yes, OP, certain foods should not be eaten raw. I've used this list in the past:

I wonder how many potatoes does one need to eat before there is an issue.

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Really not an issue...even for potatoes. Most people are not going to eat potatoes that have sprouted...or the leaves. Same with rhubarb.

As a rule there isn't an issue with raw veggies.

Now, of course there are exceptions. Some mushrooms will kill you, some fruits and vegetables can affect people with certain conditions (ie spinach (high oxaloids) those with kidney issues or grapefruit with medications....
  • ASH_DVM
    ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Raw sweet potatoes cut into fry-like shapes are great for dipping
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

This makes it sound like solanine is "the bacteria" but it is not.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

This makes it sound like solanine is "the bacteria" but it is not.

huh, guess it does. I just copy and pasted it from that site. Anyways, still, eating raw potatoes can jack you up fam.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    so I had to find the raw potato info and this "NOTE: Juicing potatoes
    As long as -the potato does not contain harmful doses of glycoalkaloids, juicing fresh, peeled potatoes removes most of the resistant starches and is considered safe, at least there are no studies showing otherwise. It is even claimed to be beneficial for the digestive tract by many natural medicine practitioners."

info obtained from http://nutritionmyths.com/can-raw-potatoes-make-me-sick/
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    so I had to find the raw potato info and this "NOTE: Juicing potatoes
    As long as -the potato does not contain harmful doses of glycoalkaloids, juicing fresh, peeled potatoes removes most of the resistant starches and is considered safe, at least there are no studies showing otherwise. It is even claimed to be beneficial for the digestive tract by many natural medicine practitioners."

info obtained from http://nutritionmyths.com/can-raw-potatoes-make-me-sick/

note: OP is making smoothies and not juicing.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

note: OP is making smoothies and not juicing.
    Well crap, learn something new everyday, I wasn't thinking they were different just reading the article fast, thanks.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Ooo...I was juicing, and using the whole vegetable so basically the same as a smoothie. I didn't realize any fruits or veg were unsafe tbh....I juiced raw sweet potato, every berry known to man, etc..
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've eaten raw sweet potato...?

Of course sweet potatoes are not potatoes and they aren't yams either.

Sweet potatoes: Solanaceae family )
    Potatoes: Convolvulaceae family (Genus is Solanum or nightshade)
    Yams: Dioscoreacae family

You can safely eat raw sweet potatoes, nutritious, recommend washing. You also can eat their leaves, also nutritious.

You can eat raw potatoes, some debate about that, but not their leaves as they are a nightshade so have poisonous leaves.

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat raw kale and spinach every day. Raw veggies are great for you. Im pretty sure potatoes should be washed and peeled before eating though. I love my ninja blender i use it pretty much every morning. My first smoothie ever was banana strawberry orange and carrots.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    If you are considering raw potatoes or raw casava just google them and learn a few things. Remember - google is full of fact and crap.

Potato greening
    Solanine develops in potatoes when spuds are subjected to light or either very cold or warm temperatures. The greenish hue that should warn you away from such spuds is actually chlorophyll, but its presence indicates concentrations of solanine are present in the tuber. Unless you are deliberately seeking out green potatoes to eat, you are unlikely to ingest enough of the toxin to do harm. Greened potatoes do not necessarily need to be discarded. The concentration of solanine is greatest in or directly beneath the skin, and peeling is an effective way to remove the solanine-affected tissue. Additionally, cooking in steam or water reduces solanine levels by 30 to 40 percent.

Some general information about cassava
    a.k.a. Yuca

Tapioca is cassava starch used in puddings and as a thickening agent
    There are two varieties of cassava – sweet and bitter. Both contain Prussic acid (hydrocyanic acid), which can cause cyanide poisoning. Cooking or pressing the root thoroughly removes the poison. Cassava can never be eaten raw. Bitter, or wild, cassava contains enough acid so that it can be fatally poisonous if eaten raw or undercooked. To escape the Conquistadors, the oppressed natives were known to commit suicide by eating raw cassava. Don’t be intimidated. You won’t come into contact with bitter cassava in U.S. stores. Sweet cassava is sold in American markets fresh or frozen. Bitter cassava is processed into safe edible flours and starches, which in turn are made into breads, pastries and cakes.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat raw kale too much as its rather hard on the digestive system and can cause some issues if you have a low thyroid.