Supplements and pills and advice

Options
So i wanna know what people are taking as for as pills like vitamins or even fat lossing ones what are your views on them. Any advice out there that peole are willing to share. Im looking into getting fat burning pills but im not sure what kind will help i know its not a miracle pill but i used to lose a good amount while i was on hydroxycut

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No such thing as fat losing pills. Even prescription medications for weight loss don't cause fat loss, they cause a decreased appetite. Most have side effects that can cause serious bodily harm.

As for vitamins-you should go to your doctor and get blood tested to see what you are deficient in. If you aren't deficient, there is no need to supplement.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A multi vitamin to cover your bases. Calorie deficit to lose weight! Pills don't work and teach nothing about eating for the rest of your life.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm not starting anything that I'm not planning to do for the rest of my life. So the changes I've made are things that I CAN stick with - basically eating at a slight calorie deficit, or as many cals as I can while still losing.

No pills, I don't even take supplements at this point, I just do my best to eat well (most of the time, anyway!). I've been successful losing the fat and inches and have kept it off for 4+ years.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What burns fat and is safe? Not eating so much, and getting more active. Regarding "fat burning pills" here's what the FDA site says about Hydroxycut products:
    ... FDA has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury, to liver damage requiring liver transplant. One death due to liver failure has been reported to the FDA.

Liver injury, although rare, was reported by patients at the doses of Hydroxycut recommended on the bottle. Symptoms of liver injury include jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes) and brown urine. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, light-colored stools, excessive fatigue, weakness, stomach or abdominal pain, itching, and loss of appetite.

Other health problems reported include seizures; cardiovascular disorders; and rhabdomyolysis, a type of muscle damage that can lead to other serious health problems such as kidney failure. ...

Source: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm152152.htm

• Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and fish oil. I also take a calcium supplement and an iron supplement, due to family health history,

As far as fat loss pills go, don't waste your time or money.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Usually anything labeled as a fast loss pill is pure bs.

As for supplements I take and reasons;
    Vitamin d and iron - doctors orders
    Fish oil - everyone says I should take it so I do
    Biotin and folic acid - dermatologist orders
    Melatonin - I have awful sleeping habits
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am taking a multivitamin and thinking about fish oils for the brain benefits. Otherwise that's it
  • rhiannonmummy
    rhiannonmummy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin with added iron. I take booting for my hair and nails and if I feel particularly boggy I'll take the tesco slimming aid. Tbf all I find it does is makes going to the toilet easier and that helps me feel less sluggish
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D and B12 on doctor's orders as I'm deficient, fish oil, turmeric for whatever inflammation i might have ( i have back problems ), calcium when i remember ;)
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    What burns fat and is safe? Not eating so much, and getting more active. Regarding "fat burning pills" here's what the FDA site says about Hydroxycut products:
    ... FDA has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury, to liver damage requiring liver transplant. One death due to liver failure has been reported to the FDA.

Liver injury, although rare, was reported by patients at the doses of Hydroxycut recommended on the bottle. Symptoms of liver injury include jaundice (yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes) and brown urine. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, light-colored stools, excessive fatigue, weakness, stomach or abdominal pain, itching, and loss of appetite.

Other health problems reported include seizures; cardiovascular disorders; and rhabdomyolysis, a type of muscle damage that can lead to other serious health problems such as kidney failure. ...

Source: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm152152.htm

Hydroxycut put me in the emergency room. Stopped that nonsense real quick.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Stop getting side tracked and use mfp and you will lose weight
    I took a course of vitamin d after blood tests.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a multi just to cover the bases, some fish oil (not sold on it yet but my bp is good), and some magnesium before bed. Not sure any of its worth it