Weight training for weight loss

Options
Hello everyone, I just have a doubt regarding weight loss and weight training. I am a fat guy having 105kg/231pounds (initially my weight was 110kg and earlier this month I have started going to the gym and lost 5kg. However I was only doing Cardio at that time. Which includes 10mins of cycling, 15mins of warmup, 20 mins of treadmill with 6kmp/h speed and on the cross fitness trainer for 20minutes. But now my instructor is telling me to take up weight training. Actually I do not know what to do as He is telling me that only if you start weight training you will loose fat and if you don't your muscles will swag. Is this true? Also does weight training make me bulk up? Or will I be stuck with the same physique? The reason I am asking is my goal is only weight loss not body building plus I have to pay extra for it and I don't know whether it is beneficial or not. If I will stick with Cardio exercises only will I be able to loose more weight?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lifting while in a calorie deficit helps retain your muscle as you lose weight. Without lifting, you might reach your goal and have a "skinny fat" look due to lost muscle. It is possible you'll gain a bit when you start, but once your body is used to the routine those gains will stop unless you switch to a calorie surplus.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Listen to your trainer.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I agree with listening to your trainer. If you continue to eat in a deficit with only cardio you'll actually lose muscle, and I guarantee you won't be happy with the result. Lifting will preserve your muscle. On a deficit, you won't gain a lot of muscle (you will gain some as a new lifter). You'll lose fat while lifting, instead of losing fat AND muscle. What could be bad about that?
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Confirming all of the above. Lift the weights.
  • chanell84
    chanell84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have started lifting weights earlier instead of waiting until I had already lost almost 70 lbs!