Soft foods post oral surgery

Hey guys, I just had a gum graft this morning and need some ideas of how to get nutrition in besides milk, yogurt, and steamed broccoli. I don't even feel like eating at all tbh :-/

Replies

• alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    I did Muscle Milk protein shakes. They were pretty tasty.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Mashed potato/sweet potato/peanut butter/stewed fruit
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I had protein shakes, milk shakes, pudding, eggs later on, Popsicles, etc. I honestly hated it.

I really wanted pasta sauce. Don't do it. So much burning from the acid in the tomatoes.
  • steviem85
    steviem85 Posts: 11 Member
    Lol I'm already seeing how this will be not fun for a while. All of those things sound great, but to live off of only dairy and carbs for a week I think i will feel sick :(

Maybe i could smash peas and tuna into a pulp. Auddii, you had a graft too? Did they give you that retainer thing to protect the roof of you mouth?
  • steviem85
    Wow thank you so much!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    steviem85 wrote: »
    Lol I'm already seeing how this will be not fun for a while. All of those things sound great, but to live off of only dairy and carbs for a week I think i will feel sick :(

Maybe i could smash peas and tuna into a pulp. Auddii, you had a graft too? Did they give you that retainer thing to protect the roof of you mouth?

I actually had my tonsils removed. They told me it was going to be painful, I did not realize how bad it was going to be.

I had problems with anything remotely solid for over a week because I had holes in the back of my throat. Even after two weeks I was digging out food that got stuck with the back of a tooth brush.

However, you wouldn't necessarily have those problems. I'd say try it, and have something softer as backup.

I was definitely sick of the foods I was able to eat after only like 2 days. I haven't eaten pudding or smoothie king since (it's been about 2 years).
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    My sympathies. I had 8 teeth removed and bone grafts done. I was on a liquid only diet for at least 2 weeks and soft/mashed foods for another 3 or 4. Not fun! Shakes were essential for ensuring I got enough nutrition. My husband made me soups that were just broths, and he would cook lots of good stuff then strain it for me. If you can have mashed, you could use an immersion blender to give you a smooth consistency. Be careful though, and follow the instructions! You don't want to mess up the work or end up with an infection!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I had jaw surgery and basically ate baby food and boost shakes for 6 weeks. More extreme than your healing time I'm sure, but baby food isn't half and bad as you think it might be. Look for veg+fruit blends, often taste more like the fruit. Pretty sure I lived off of a spinach apple mix.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    After my brother's jaw surgery, my mother made soups and stews and pureed them.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Just got my wisdom teeth extracted, and Ive been living on scrambled eggs with avocado, greek yogurt, soup, mashed potatoes, easy mac, and ice cream. It really isnt fun lol I miss my meat and crunchy veggies
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Hummus, applesauce, baby food meat, gefilte fish.

Have you tried PB2? It's peanut butter powder. You can add it to other foods to add protein (and yummy flavor). Try it mixed it yogurt.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I made myself 2 big things of homemade applesauce and mashed potatoes. I made a box of jello. And i drank muscle milk.

Wasn't so bad. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Protein shakes, pudding, ice cream, smoothies, soup without chunks.
  • steviem85
    Yall are all so awesome!! I'm writing a shopping list and will use some of these ideas. I'm tired of milk and ensure lol
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Speaking from experience with oral surgery I couldn't eat anything with seeds or anything similar in it because it would get caught up in stitches and cause problems. Found out the hard way with strawberry ice cream and the seeds in it. I lived off of protein shakes for a week or so after that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Good luck @steviem85 :)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Oatmeal, scrambled eggs with cheese, guacamole, yogurt with peanut butter, smoothies, shakes, jello, puddings, ice cream, any liquid calories, mashed bananas, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower etc etc etc
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    I had a gum graft when I was nine. I remember drinking a lot of carnation instant breakfast, through a straw, bypassing the roof of my mouth where they took the tissue from. Not sure they even make it anymore.