Veggie burgers...good or bad?

Options
Frumpy2Fit
Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
I was just wondering if anyone knows if veggie burgers are good or bad for you? I am trying to branch out and find some new healthy items to mix in with my current diet.

Replies

• emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When looking for a good one check nutrition label that's low in fat/sodium that should be good!!
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    As I'm veggie I don't eat regular burgers at all. As far as I know, veggie burgers are much lower in fat. Also they don't shrink when you cook them so the size you buy is the size you eat lol.

Edited: Just checked the nutrition on Asda Meat Free Burgers

90 cals per burger
    9.8g protein
    3.4g carbs
    3.6g fat (0.6 saturated)
    2.4g fibre
    .30 g sodium

Sorry can't compare to meat burgers as I don't have any :)
  • debbinks
    debbinks Posts: 7
    Options
    most are just processed - read the ingredient list, if you don't know an ingredient do not eat it
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love veggie burgers and meatless chicken patties!! Put them on slimwiches and dress them up with baby spinach and tomato with a little low fat olive oil mayo...yum!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients or make them yourself.

In some / most cases veggie just means without meat. Not necessarily healthy.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    They are super processed, and many are not organic, which means it's possible they contain trace amounts of hexane. If you choose to eat processed foods, stick to ones like Sunshine Burgers, which are non-GMO and all Organic.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Really, it depends on what you buy. I like the dr. pragers veggie burgers, or you can make your own - there are tons of recipes out there - they can be bean or rice based, or just all veggies.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I eat the Boca Vegan burgers and consider them to be healthy-ish. High in sodium, but low in fat. I eat about a box (4) a week, so I enjoy them in moderation!
  • Dramatic456
    Dramatic456 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They are a good source of lowfat protein. But as with anything they need to be eaten in moderation. As far as taste, Boca burgers have the lowest calories, but I've NEVER been a fan of their taste. I like the morningstar orignial veggie burgers which are about 130 calories each. Be careful with the buns( try some sandwich things, or eat them with no bun on top of some lettuce and tomato) and the add-ons ( leave the cheese and mayo) and add lettuce and tomato or a squirt of mustard instead! Good luck branching out with your food choices! veggie burgers are a GREAT alternative to harmburger!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Depends on the ingredients.
    Lentils? Yes.
    Hyrdolized Soy Protein? No, thanks.

There are a lot of good options out there, just make sure they have the protein that you're looking for in a meat substitute.

Edit: You can always make your own, too. I'm sure there are thousands of recipes out there that have healthy, whole ingredients. That way, you'll know exactly what you're putting in your body. :)

Good luck!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can make some pretty tasty ones yourself, just look for some recipes online.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'm a big fan...BUT it depends on the brand. I've had some epic fails when it comes to veggie stuff.

I'm not an exceptionally clean eater, for me it's fat content, which is why I like them. Yves are my favorite, and I've heard great things about Boca, but I can never find them in Ontario. I put them on PC wheat thin buns, and I don't miss the meat at all.
  • urbanhomesteader
    Options
    i love soy burgers. they are one of the only processed foods i indulge in...once i got a taste for them, there was no going back to beef! in my opinion, healthier too...read labels though, it depends on brand. recently, (last week) discovered the joy of just taking the stem off a giant portabella mushroom and grilling it on the bbq and using that as a burger patty. so delicious! i've had them 3 times already in the past week. :)
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for their input! It's extremely helpful to have so many knowledgeable people out there!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love a good veggie burger now and then. :) Love the morning star and bocca. :) mMMMMMM
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Try Trader Joe’s Vegetable Masala Burger (Vegan, and Soy-Free)

120 cals per "burger"

Ingredients: Potatoes, canola oil, carrots, green beans, water, bread crumbs (wheat flour, sugar, yeast, salt), bell peppers, onions, corn, salt, green peppers, sugar, ginger, cellulose gum, spices, citric acid, turmeric, mustard seeds.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Original vegan Boca burgers are my favorite! They are 70 calories, and very filling. Tastes just like a regular burger. .5g fat, no cholesterol, the perfect fast food. I'm vegan, but I'd be eating them even if I weren't.
  • cestelyse
    cestelyse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    They're much lower in fat/cholesterol but tend to have lots of sodium, so just don't make it a habit of eating them. I prefer to make my own veggie burgers and there are tons of great recipes out there! Or, grill up a portabella mushroom as a great substitute!