I'm fat because I don't eat enough!!!

Options
MicheletteLew
MicheletteLew Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2016 in Motivation and Support
Whoa! Doing my first food diary that my nutritionist is monitoring. She says I need 1500 calories a day to lose, this site says 1200. I eat between 1200-1400 a day normally! Nutritionist says to cut out Splenda and ALL artificial sweetners and foods/drinks made with them - and anything with soy isolates in them - so no Metafast, or Atkins bars! (there are a few bars not made with soy isolate). I don't eat a lot of veggies this time of year - so need to add those. My 1st week, need to lose 50lbs!

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Best wishes on your body recomp!

Yes to veggies, the more the better! I've never really used a lot of artificial sweeteners, and plan to stay away from them. Just start logging...do you weigh your food on a scale? That is my favorite tool.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't compare goals arrived at using different methods. Your calorie goal on here is very strongly affected by the rate of loss you set. Did you choose 2lbs/week by any chance?

Beware nutritionists by the way - dieticians tend to have proper qualifications and just about anybody can call themselves a nutritionist.

Cutting out zero (or close to zero) sweeteners isn't going to make a difference to losing weight.
  • MicheletteLew
    Options
    So Kriss, just how do you lose weight eating all that stuff? And as I said I have been eating Atkins for lunch and breakfast for a year and haven't lost ANYTHING! She is trying to find out why...
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So Kriss, just how do you lose weight eating all that stuff? And as I said I have been eating Atkins for lunch and breakfast for a year and haven't lost ANYTHING! She is trying to find out why...

Do you weigh your food/drinks?
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    The suggestion to cut out sweeteners may be derived from the theory that having sweet tasting cola etc supposedly makes you want/crave more sweet substances which then will have calories in. E.g the Diet Coke won't contribute to you gaining weight but the chocolate bar you then decide to eat with,or after it, will. The nutritionist might also think your tastes will adjust if you cut out sweet foods & drinks in general hence avoiding some of the more calorie dense foods.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much, just focus on accurately logging and consistently meeting your calorie goal.
  • MicheletteLew
    Options
    Thank you Sara! MamaFunky - no, this is my 1st week with the nutritionist - I am just doing a food diary for her right now.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. You could eat Atkins all day everyday and still not lose a pound because you need to be at a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. That's why all these fad diets are unreasonable. All you need to do is eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. Get yourself a food scale and learn how to weigh all your solids. Use measuring cups for liquids. You will lose weight if you consistently eat at a calorie deficit.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sara! MamaFunky - no, this is my 1st week with the nutritionist - I am just doing a food diary for her right now.

A food scale is a must. It is so important to start understanding portion size and portion control. As long as there is not a medical reason, you do not have to eliminate anything from your diet. Just measure, log it and meet you calorie goal and you will lose weight. Add some exercise and you will be able to eat a little more, as well as improve your overall health.
  • aprilkorn
    aprilkorn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the nutritionist. Weigh your food and log accurately. Stay in calorie deficit and you will lose regardless of what your eating. You could lose even if you only ate chocolate bars if you stay in deficit although you won't meet nutrition requirments. If your not losing now it may be because your underestimating just how many calories you are consuming.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    "I'm fat because I don't eat enough!!!"

Really? Explain how anorexics, for example, get to 80 lbs.

And explain how you gained your extra weight.

But really, don't mix up things: your nutritionist may talk about HEALTH - ex: try to avoid artificial foods as much as you can, including sweeteners - and about WEIGHT LOSS - ex: don't exceed x amount of calories daily.

Health, weight: these are two different things. Of course it helps to eat "healthy" when you lose weight, because since you decrease the number of calories, you need them to be as "filling" as possible. And typically, junk food is not that filling, so you may end out starving, and give up the diet altogether. But it is not necessary to eat "clean" (God do I hate that expression).
    You can technically lose weight by eating only junk food, although it's obviously not recommended. Similarly, you can certainly eat your way to obesity eating whole grains, salads and apples.

So make sure not to mix up both concepts: they are related, but not interchangeable.
  • lillisag
    lillisag Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    • A calorie is a calorie. No matter what form it comes in.
    • Eat less + Move more.
    • Unless you are training for a marathon or a triathlon. You don't need 1500.
    • Stick to 1200.
    • Weigh your food. Make sure you don't eat your calories back when you exercise.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    "I'm fat because I don't eat enough!!!"

Really? Explain how anorexics, for example, get to 80 lbs.

This. My grandfather used to say he never say anyone coming out of Auschwitz obese.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit = weight loss
    ***but***
    Results come from choosing macro percentages and choosing foods that make your body perform at it's best.
    For example, if your body is not handling sugars well, lowering your intake of those macros can help you with blood sugar, appetite and energy, and help you get lean, not just lose weight. It will also help you stick with your calorie deficit.
    Another example, eating enough fat and protein can help you stay satisfied, and maintain muscle mass.

I don't see anything wrong with your nutritionist's suggestions, I agree with them for my own purposes, too. That's nice you have someone to consult with, I'm sure you will learn a lot!
  • papillio12
    papillio12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Actually it can happen but it takes rare circumstances, I should know I had the same problem at one point. It takes eating so little that your body goes into extreme starvation mode, but just enough that at that point to then be putting on weight. It's far more common amongst women with hormonal problems like PCOS. When it happened to me I was eating a net of 1400 a day, when I went up to a net of 1600 I started losing weight again.

That being said, if you're going to seek advice on nutrition ask a dietician NOT a nutritionist. Most of them don't have a clue, whereas a dietician has substantial study time and can factor in a variety of health and other physical requirements. Trust me, dieticians know what they're talking about.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Starvation mode refuses to die :(

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

papillio12 wrote: »
    Actually it can happen but it takes rare circumstances, I should know I had the same problem at one point. It takes eating so little that your body goes into extreme starvation mode, but just enough that at that point to then be putting on weight. It's far more common amongst women with hormonal problems like PCOS. When it happened to me I was eating a net of 1400 a day, when I went up to a net of 1600 I started losing weight again.

That being said, if you're going to seek advice on nutrition ask a dietician NOT a nutritionist. Most of them don't have a clue, whereas a dietician has substantial study time and can factor in a variety of health and other physical requirements. Trust me, dieticians know what they're talking about.