Are garage/yard sales popular where you live?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
I swear every Saturday, just driving around my small town, that there's always loads of them and LOTS of people parking goofing on the streets just to get to them. Is it because of buying old, outdated stuff and reselling it on place like eBay?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    yes, it is ridiculous. Every old person thinks they are going to hit the jackpot with some obscure antique find, but it is mostly moth ball scented garbage on folding tables. Every single effing weekend.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have been yard saling since I was a child. As a 20 year old, I still like going to yard sales and buying CDs, DVDs, knick knacks, books, etc. My mom, who is 55, usually accompanies me. I actually went yard saling on my birthday this year as a treat. Yard sales aren't that common around here until June and there are very few around this time of year.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love garage sales!!! Most of them around here are quite disappointing though. But, every once in a while I'll find a treasure. Most people tend to sell old, smelly stuff with no value. :( I make sure to have good garage sales full of nice clothing.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Yep, there's usually 10 - 15 within a square mile of my house on a given Saturday. We run them 2 - 3 times a year, too. Personally, I'm happy whenever my fiancee wants to do one. It's an excuse to sit on my butt on a Saturday morning with a 6-pack and watch the world go by, plus maybe make some extra beer money.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    We have a lot of estate sales, but not garage sales. There's a pretty big elderly population & it seems to me that every weekend at least 20 of them have passed & their kids are selling everything they ever owned.

Also, what a game tonight was! :disappointed:

Estate Sales are much better than Garage Sales. I have been to plenty of both and you can almost always find a good find at an estate sale, as it is stuff that they wanted to keep until they died as it had some value to them, garage sales on the other hand, while you can find some good things, are the things that they did not want to keep until they died because it holds no value to them. I have never had a yard sale, usually just donate what would be yard sale material to the Kidney Foundation or Volunteers of America/Amvets/Goodwill/etc....
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Estate sales are also more popular here then garage sales.
    I live in an area with lots of shore homes. So when the people pass away or need to liquidate their possessions, they hire an estate sale company to come hold the sale.
    Cars line up for miles to go get a peak inside of the huge multimillion dollar home where everything inside for up for sale.
    I went once and was very disappointed. They wanted almost retail value for the furniture so and people where not allowed to buy the appliances or fixtures ( they where to be sold with the house itself )
    So it wasn't for me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've passed by many and lots of times it's old clothing or even baby stuff.

I think the biggest issue is possibly the people who go to the garage sales. My mom does and her once open garage is now filled with so much junk. At 89 my mom has a little hoarding problem and I'm sure when she passes, I'll just have anyone come get what they want and either donate or trash the rest.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Haha, was just looking at Craigslist for the good word on sales today. Love them. And yes, it's mostly crap but amongst that there can be great finds.

I love estate sales more though because I'm nosy and like to see in peoples' houses. Especially here locally with all the great Victorians.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I do think shows like American Pickers and the like have really put a damper on pricing and make people think their broken fishing rods and rusty wrenches are valuable yard art.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I do think shows like American Pickers and the like have really put a damper on pricing and make people think their broken fishing rods and rusty wrenches are valuable yard art.
    Many people even buy then go to pawn shops to see if they can just at least double their money back.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    What's the funniest thing you've ever seen at a sale?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    So 4 garage sales on one street today..............................and the street was packed. I have yet to stop by one to actually buy something.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So 4 garage sales on one street today..............................and the street was packed. I have yet to stop by one to actually buy something.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I saw one that was selling old dirty stuffed animals before.
    For real. All joking aside. Who would allow their kids to play with old used dirty stuffed animals ? They sign said " 25 cents each or best offer" my son asked me to drive back so he could take a picture but I refused . he was hanging out of the windows trying to photograph the old dirty toys because he thought it was so funny.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed an uptick in weekend garage/yard sales, but I live on a small cul-de-sac and don't pass through much of a neighborhood as I move about town.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I love going to yard sales and garage sales. It's an excuse to be out on lovely days, and sometimes make a good find. Free hardcover books and some really great toys (excellent condition) for my grandkids to use when they come over. Nerf gun collection for my youngest boy for less than the cost of one- all 10 in working condition. Scored a great free couch for my oldest sons new apartment from an estate sale. I love getting deals. It's like craigslist without the creep factor :P Unfortunately the area I live in is too sprawling so I don't get out to as many as I would like to without doing a *lot* of preparing ahead of time for addresses/map directions etc. Can't just cruise til you spot a goodun'
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes. My wife and MIL go every weekend. They make money with what they buy.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I love garage sales i havent gone to one in a while my mom used to be in love with them now... not so much
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    they are usually called yard sales here

and they are very popular all over here in the city and in all the outer boonie towns
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Super popular here. I should host one but they always say you have to be up super early cause that's when the serious people are there to shop. I don't like negotiating and I'm not good at math so charities benefit from getting my crap