Hill Training - Marathon

Options
Somebody_Loved
Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Yet another running question. I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Marathon plan for my first marathon coming up in June. The training plan doesn't mention hills anywhere and I do all my runs on an extremely flat trail. It dawned on me that I should probably start incorporating hills as the course is definitely not flat.

My question is, how? I have a big hill by my house I could do hill repeats on. Would I just incorporate that into one of my shorter weekday runs? And how many times a week should I be doing that? Here is the elevation map for reference.

9r5oqvqtywep.png

Thanks!

Replies

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Run some of your long runs on the race course or a route that is similar to the course.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Ya, throw a few hill repeats into you're easy runs or long runs. Run them easy too. Maybe 1x/wk. Later on, maybe throw it in during a tempo run @ goal race pace.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Go Zags. :D
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. That course doesn't look hilly by any stretch. Hills are always good for you though. Throw some in for practice, and you'll also find that your speed will increase on the flats.