New rules of lifting for women

Options
Jamidi
Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
I have no clue what I'm doing in the gym. I mean, I understand the concepts of the machines and I know some free weight exercises but other than that I'm clueless. Everyone in the gym is sweaty and breathing hard but I'm barely breaking a sweat. Needless to say, the scale isn't moving and inches are not falling off.
A few years ago I bought the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women but I didn't like the tone of the author so never finished it.
My question is- has it worked for you? If it has what benefit did it bring to you?

Replies

• ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I recently started stronglifts 5x5, I don't go with all the negative stuff I've read about the guy. He knows his stuff and yeah it was developed for dudes. But, it's a great program, super easy to follow and do. There's an app with videos and a workout tracker for both a and b days. It's really great and it's helped me not feel so clueless. To be honest lifting days are my most favorite, coming from a person who never lifted, I think that says a lot. I've heard and read the nrolfw is also a great beginner program, tho wouldn't know. The programs start off slow, it's supposed to, it helps to nail down form, before getting too heavy. I'm 6 weeks in and just getting into heavy lifting. So don't worry if In the beginning it's easy. So far, I've lost 2 lbs and 1/2 an inch on my waist, tho I feel like my thighs are more slim too (I just haven't measured). Watch videos like crazy! Look at the pics to see where hands and feet go etc.

Mark ripptoe on YouTube is great for squats form

Stronglifts.com has a ton of videos/pics of every lift from all angles etc.

Good luck! Hope this helps some :)
  • sarahbhurley15
    sarahbhurley15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, do what you're comfortable with and don't be hard on yourself. Make exercise fun, try a Zumba class. Look up workout hashtags, videos.. Get a Pinterest look up meal prep ideas
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure what you didn't like about the tone for NROLFW, but it does work. I switched to SL, because I wanted something more simple for now. There are plenty of beginner programs available, so if you don't like New Rules, check out some others.

ETA: Benefits, I feel more secure in my job (that may also be related in part to kickboxing). I feel stronger (naturally).
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes love strong lifts 5X5. Google it, download the app, & watch the videos!!
  • Jamidi
    Jamidi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had never heard of the 5x5 but I've seen people on here talking about it. I'll give it a try
  • rockymytdeb
    rockymytdeb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some beginner programs by some of the best trainers and are free. I also like Oxygen magazine. Keep on mind you can gain weight by lifting, but will be smaller.