Before and after, goal met, don't feel satisfied. Are my expectations skewed?

Options
tacticalcraptical
tacticalcraptical Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2016 in Motivation and Support
So in August of 2014 I looked like this:
ihptls0xwl8k.jpg

I did loads of cardio and dieted tons for a year and in September 2015 I looked like this:
mntlihiqx166.jpg

After feeling like I I looked thin but flabby in September I started to go to the gym and began weight training and research. I tried to bulk up, I ate tons, mostly cleanm lifted like crazy and at the end of February 2016 I looked like this:
c3bdn6uhs18k.jpg

Since then I cut down on calories and maintained my strength on my weight training and worked just as hard in the gym. Tonight I look like this:
gsku490koeop.jpg

I weight 105 lbs less than I did 2 years ago and most body fat scales and calipers claim I sit around 10% boy fat (though I feel like in reality it's probably 13 or 14%)
I am in a place that is world better than I used to be and I have worked hard but I feel like I just don't look as good as I expected.
Do I have unreal expectations for how I should look after what is essentially 8 months of weight training? Is this decent or good progress for one bulk and cut session or do I need to completely re-evaluate how I am doing things. I am not fishing here, I really want to know because I just don't feel satisfied at the moment.

Thanks.

Replies

• jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Id say you look F I N E fine!!! With great muscle definition. Great progress
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You look amazing and I think you're letting your old feelings ruin your accomplishment. You probably feel like you look like a guy who used to be unhappy, I've been there after getting in shape. But in reality you just look like a hot guy who has always taken care of himself. If you continue being hard on yourself you're going to have new problems to sort!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need a new goal? You've done great.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You look great ! I know the feeling you have I have the same feeling so I just set more goals to work towards some are smaller some are bigger but I love having something to work for
  • saramickeydee
    saramickeydee Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You look really good. Congratulations!
  • tacticalcraptical
    tacticalcraptical Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. You are all right, I just need to set another goal and keep moving. It just feels weird to be in a place I never actually thought I would get to. I'll try to not be hard on myself and just enjoy the progress I have made and keep making more!
  • Madwhizzard
    Madwhizzard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As others have stated...you look hot. Keep it up. :)
  • Evelinejedwab
    Evelinejedwab Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You look great for a normal guy. If you want to look like the men in the fitness magazines you should know that these are pros. They spend hours and hours in the gym and eat an impossible diet. Not to mention the hormone treatments and so on. Nothing healthy about that. You should be proud of the way you did it. Stay real.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured program? Yes it can take a long time. I think just stick with it, it's obvious you made progress. Some of the guys on here or folks on bodybuilding.com might have suggestions for particular things you could try. But you should be really proud of how far you've come and what you've accomplished. Sometimes we spend too much time focusing on what's 'wrong' with us and what we need to 'fix' and so we still think we are broken at the end.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Honestly the way you look is 100% mental. Ive lost 30lbs and when i look in the mirror i still see myself as 175lbs not the 145 i am now. Even with everyone telling me how great i look and the fact ive dropped almost 3 pant sizes. Its all mental. Your progress is amazing just keep a good routine.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation!!!!
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I think you look good! Maybe ask a trainer at the gym. They know a lot about working out and would be glad to look at you in a professional way and give their advice. And..it is very hard to see yourself as others do. I lost a lot of weight really fast one of many times. I did not like how I looked. Now I look back at those pictures and wish I still weighed that.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think you've made amazing progress. But if you don't feel like you're "done", then keep going. As long as you aren't obsessive about it, I think it's healthy to keep creating and achieving your goals. I don't think I'll ever really stop, even after I reach maintenance.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Reckon you should also share your tips for reversing time... You look so much younger too! Congrats. Try not to be so hard on yourself and for sure setting a new goal sounds like a good idea. Marathon? Triathlon? Long distance swim? Tough mudder challenge? Long distance multi-day cycle ride?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That's solid progress for 8 months in the weight room. Putting on muscle mass takes time...a lot of time...and a lot of hard work...and consistency...and more time. Just keep hitting the weight room..eat, train, and progress.