How do YOU get in your fruits and vegetables?

Options
Does anyone do smoothies? I'm not going to lie, i've never been proper about getting in my fruits and vegetables, on a calorie restricted diet, i'm even worse about it. How do you fit them in?

Replies

• jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale and weigh 150g veggies for my meals. Usually a saute or stir-fry with breakfast, chopped salad with lunch, steamed veggies with dinner. That's 450g of veggies, or 1 pound. It's easy to put a serving of frozen fruit into a smoothie, or eat fruit as a snack or dessert. Dried fruit can be added to the salad or eaten with nuts.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit and veggie smoothie most mornings. For lunch if i make a thing of soup ill add kale or spinach. Or today i had a tuna salad sandwich and i put kale in it. And for dinner i add extra veggies and find meals that have lots of veggies. The other day i made a chicken enchilada lasagna. With layers of corn tortillas chicken cheese kale onions olives and green onion sticks and enchilada sauce. I just try to add them here and there where i use to not.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't try to get fruits in. I just let those happen in a "treats" sort of way.
    I do try to eat lots of vegetables/plant foods.
    I sometimes do smoothies. I go through phases with those. My smoothies only ever have a handful of berries, fruit wise.

I eat salads often for lunch.

I always add a green veg to whatever is for dinner. We often have stir fry.

And generally if we go out for dinner I have a large, simple salad with protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jen_bush wrote: »
    I just try and have some with every meal... Smoothies and juices I've been told off about as they lose the fibres and become pure sugar apparently

smoothies don't lose their fiber. Fiber doesn't disappear. They are reported to increase insulin more than chewed food though. So there's that. My smoothies have nuts, seeds, protein etc, so that helps slow down the insulin response.
    Juicing DOES dump a lot of the fiber.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't try to get fruits in. I just let those happen in a "treats" sort of way.
    I sometimes do smoothies. I go through phases with those.

And generally if we go out for dinner I have a large, simple salad with protein.

Similar here. I'm not a big fan of fruit so I focus on veggies and eat a lot of stir fry type meals, along big salads on a regular basis :)

And I also go through smoothie phases, I usually dust off my blender when the farmers market opens for the summer lol.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I'm used to cooking at least one veg dish for dinner and one for supper every day. Sometimes I cook two for one meal. I buy fresh veg and prepare it just before cooking. Fruit is a treat, snack or dessert food for me. I make my own salad dressing with some veg, sesame seeds, spices, olive oil or vinegar/lime lemon juice, sometimes a bit of fruit, in the blender, these dressings ar also nice on other veg dishes to brighten up the whole veg experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I sometimes do smoothies. I go through phases with those.

Similar here. I'm not a big fan of fruit so I focus on veggies and eat a lot of stir fry type meals, along big salads on a regular basis :)

And I also go through smoothie phases, I usually dust off my blender when the farmers market opens for the summer lol.

Exactly!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat three different fruits each day, one for each meal besides dinner. Either one whole fruit if apple, pear or orange, or two if plums, tangerines or loquats, or I portion out for several days if melon, pineapple or grapes. Certain fruits are wonderful paired with nut butter: Green apple/orange+peanut butter, and pear+cashew/almond butter. Grapes, tangerines and some pear varieties are even better coupled with certain cheeses.

I eat vegetables with every meal. Raw vegetables for each meal besides dinner - chopped up carrots, cucumber, rutabaga, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, or salad - portioned out as close to 80 grams as possible. For dinner: salad (rarely), or heated ("steamed") peas or green beans, boiled (artichokes, asparagus), or baked (parsnips, brussel sprouts), as a side, or mixed in a casserole or chunky soup - lots of onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, squash, peppers, or blended in soup - cauliflower, mushroom, butternut squash, carrot (w/coconut milk, chili and lime), pepper/tomato, spinach, pea soup. I also eat potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn often.

I make smoothies sometimes - milk, banana + blueberries, strawberries or lime, or peanut butter/cocoa.

For me, this is an easy way to get in plenty of fruit and veg. They are also quite calorie friendly, so they are ideal for weight management.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Fruit with breakfast every morning, sometimes a salad for lunch (with chicken or shrimp) or a wrap with spinach and tomato on it, a baggie of baby carrots mixed with apple slices as a snack, and ALWAYS veggies with dinner.

My go-to's are spring mix salad full of chopped veggies, steamed broccoli with lemon juice, baked asparagus, steamed baby bok choy, baked green beans, baked brussels sprouts, stir fry with zucchini and eggplant and peppers and carrots...

Couldn't imagine cooking without tons of vegetables!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just eat them. We always have fruits in the house...always make vegetables for once and dinner...so many to choose from!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love all veggies besides mushrooms and okra(unless fried) and all fruit excep durian.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    One pound of veg per day holy shiznit this is the major leagues...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I eat three different fruits each day, one for each meal besides dinner. Either one whole fruit if apple, pear or orange, or two if plums, tangerines or loquats, or I portion out for several days if melon, pineapple or grapes. Certain fruits are wonderful paired with nut butter: Green apple/orange+peanut butter, and pear+cashew/almond butter. Grapes, tangerines and some pear varieties are even better coupled with certain cheeses.

I eat vegetables with every meal. Raw vegetables for each meal besides dinner - chopped up carrots, cucumber, rutabaga, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, or salad - portioned out as close to 80 grams as possible. For dinner: salad (rarely), or heated ("steamed") peas or green beans, boiled (artichokes, asparagus), or baked (parsnips, brussel sprouts), as a side, or mixed in a casserole or chunky soup - lots of onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, squash, peppers, or blended in soup - cauliflower, mushroom, butternut squash, carrot (w/coconut milk, chili and lime), pepper/tomato, spinach, pea soup. I also eat potatoes, sweet potatoes and corn often.

I make smoothies sometimes - milk, banana + blueberries, strawberries or lime, or peanut butter/cocoa.

For me, this is an easy way to get in plenty of fruit and veg. They are also quite calorie friendly, so they are ideal for weight management.

Are you a vegetarian or vegan?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I'm used to cooking at least one veg dish for dinner and one for supper every day. Sometimes I cook two for one meal. I buy fresh veg and prepare it just before cooking. Fruit is a treat, snack or dessert food for me. I make my own salad dressing with some veg, sesame seeds, spices, olive oil or vinegar/lime lemon juice, sometimes a bit of fruit, in the blender, these dressings ar also nice on other veg dishes to brighten up the whole veg experience.

Remember the days of "meat and two veg"? This!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Veggies is harder for me these days because I'm just sick of frozen veggies. I'd roast pretty much anything though, but sometimes I'm too tired to chop the veggies and I'm waiting for prices to get better on fresh veggies anyway... but when they are cheap, I roast them a lot. I have a ton of bookmarked recipes for side dishes though that I should try to make too...

But I love apples and have a Pink Lady pretty much every day and I'll have some berries/pear/pineapple with my cottage cheese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Veggies is harder for me these days because I'm just sick of frozen veggies. I'd roast pretty much anything though, but sometimes I'm too tired to chop the veggies and I'm waiting for prices to get better on fresh veggies anyway... but when they are cheap, I roast them a lot. I have a ton of bookmarked recipes for side dishes though that I should try to make too...

But I love apples and have a Pink Lady pretty much every day and I'll have some berries/pear/pineapple with my cottage cheese.

I'm stoked for summer fresh vegetables!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Salads, raw snacks, and steamed. I also like creamed spinach and stews.

And, I'm sorry, but there is a part of me that is baffled by the number vegetable questions on MFP.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I just have some fruit for a snack a couple times a day and try to have a serving of veggies with a form of meat at luch and dinner. Honestly not that hard. I try to find ways to spice them up like i dipped my bruseel sprouts in habanero sauce the other day.