Runners, when I run too much my hair falls out - why? And what do I do?

Options
Runners and none runners, when I start losing weight and up my workout schedule my hair falls out.

I drink protein recovery shakes, eat boiled eggs and have a solid balanced diet without food avoidance. I usually eat 1500-2100 calories per day. Moderate runner of 25 miles per week with cross training and flexibility at the moment. Curious why this happens. I went from a regular rubber band pony tail holder wrapped twice to one of the itty bitty rubber bands (for small children) wrapped twice, and sometimes 3 times. My hair is frizzy so it doesn't look as thin as it is, but as I stared at the pile of hair in the shower this morning I kinda thought maybe I should investigate.

Maybe I can do a sexy Next Gen Picard look here really soon, 'Make it So' :) I think bald is pretty sexy, but not sure I have the face to pull it off.

(I'm allergic to most multi-vitamins, but bought some Biotin, but my hair is still falling out...)

Last time I got into good shape the same thing happened, but then I got divorced, started a new job, moved...yadda yadda...no more time for running. Thanks everyone -- have a great day!

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How long are your runs? The body shuts down non-essentials when it is under stress. Hair, nails, and periods are considered non essentials.

I think your body is trying to tell you something.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I experienced hair loss when I experimented with a vegetarian woe a while back, but I was eating very low fat. Could that be an issue? Otherwise certain medications can cause hair loss. Have you recently started any new prescriptions?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    This is interesting.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. I've never had that happen due to running. However, I do second the medication possibility. I've lost hair due to certain medications before.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Given your distance running, I would see a doctor. This doesn't sound like it can be attributed to running 25miles a week.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The 2 times I have lost excessive hair has been when my diet was low in fat. Could this be an issue for you?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Has something else changed in your nutrition recently? Are you missing fat or other vitamins/minerals possibly? Maybe even taking a good multivitamin.
    I would second talking to a doctor
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Have your iron levels been tested recently? I'm anemic and lose hair when it's untreated, which includes taking cheap forms of iron that do nothing for me. I'm taking Iron Bisglycinate now.

The VA had given me two presumably cheap forms of iron that did not prevent hair loss and fatigue.
  • SWellz
    SWellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Did you make any other changes? Did you switch birth controls? Did you change shampoos? Are you showering/washing your hair more frequently?
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've only had my hair fall out when I was low in certain nutrients: D, B12, and iron. If I were you, I'd see a doctor.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How many pounds a week are you losing?
  • Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm much older, but this happened to me when I lost weight. I am absolutely certain it was low fat. Back on the butter, thick frizzy/wavy hair again and just the odd strand lost during combing, brushing.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Because you are running more, are you showering/washing your hair more? Brushing your hair more? I lose a lot of hair all the time, it doesn't seem to be thinning though. It's more obvious when I'm doing stuff with it or showering.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor. Another idea might be that you are wearing your hair back with elastic bands more frequently when you run which can lead to breakage. But first rule out medical issues/dietary issues.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do eat pretty low fat, or at least I don't get a well rounded range of fats. That might be the ticket.

I think I might live in the area where Malpractice goes to retire because I've had horrible experiences with the local doctors.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Not enough fat in the diet, maybe, i know people who got bad hair and skin problems from too low fat, but also please go to the doctor as thyroid trouble can cause hair loss and weight gain, and a lot worse stuff than that.
  • mikngayaq
    mikngayaq Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is the hair falling out of your head leaving bald spots, or are the rubber bands breaking it off mid-shaft? Big difference. If you think the first one, then see doc because it's not directly related to running.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    You mentioned protein, but I didn't notice (I skimmed the answers) where you said how much you target. I lost quite a bit of hair when I reduced my protein intake sharply (a lot of years ago now). Beyond that, I second the doctor (and/or registered dietitian) idea.