FML Can't run anymore

Options
Leauxra
Leauxra Posts: 18 Member
A year ago I started running and almost immediately I started having hip pain. I ignored it for a whole year. In February I ran my second 10k and I wanted to work up to a half marathon so I figured I'd have that pain looked at.

It's chronic abductor tendonitis. I'm looking at 6+ months of therapy, during which I'm not supposed to run at all.

Yes, I spent some time crying today. Running and doing races was really what made me happy this whole year.

Idk what to do. I'm over yoga and Pilates. I want that pounding heart, gasping for breath feeling. I can't bike in my area (it's too dangerous) and I can't swim. What else is there left to do? Sit on a machine for hours every day? What's the point?

I'm so discouraged. This is the healthiest I've felt since high school, but I don't know how I'm going to maintain it.

Replies

• yaaros
    yaaros Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try weight training under a qualified trainer...and travelling will do good for you
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've really taken a break from running myself. In February I got plantars fashitis. Worst pain ever, I could hardly walk. I did lots of rolling on a golf ball which helped immensely, also a foam roller for my calves. I just walk at a fast pace now. I try to run on occasion, but anything longer than 1.5 miles, really aggravates it. So it may be awhile yet.

I have recently started SL 5x5 for some additional fat burn. I gotta say, I've never lifted a day in my life, I always read from people on here, how awesome it was and thought, oh these people are a special kind of crazy lol. But I honestly, love it! It's my favorite thing to do, every other day. I even wonder sometimes, if it's something I could do daily. It may be worth looking into for you. It's quite enjoyable. I do a piyo workout before I lift and walk 4-5 days a week.

Hope you get better soon. I totally understand how sad you must feel. Good luck in your healing.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Leauxra wrote: »
    A year ago I started running and almost immediately I started having hip pain. I ignored it for a whole year. In February I ran my second 10k and I wanted to work up to a half marathon so I figured I'd have that pain looked at.

It's chronic abductor tendonitis. I'm looking at 6+ months of therapy, during which I'm not supposed to run at all.

Yes, I spent some time crying today. Running and doing races was really what made me happy this whole year.

Idk what to do. I'm over yoga and Pilates. I want that pounding heart, gasping for breath feeling. I can't bike in my area (it's too dangerous) and I can't swim. What else is there left to do? Sit on a machine for hours every day? What's the point?

I'm so discouraged. This is the healthiest I've felt since high school, but I don't know how I'm going to maintain it.

Do you have a big gym in the area? Because spinning class will get you that pounding heart, gasping for breath feeling. Rowing isn't too shabby either. I think Orange Theory might be worth a try if you have one around. And, if you can't swim due to no pool access that is one thing. Is it also not allowed due to injury? If you just never learned that can be remedied.

• Xanthfox
    Xanthfox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Injured myself so bad I've had to take alot of time off. I was discouraged but decided to use the time wisely. Every runner needs to be strong and conditioned. Yarros is right, take advantage of your down time to strengthen your body so when you turn it'll be way easier. You get hooked too and the conditioning when done right is awesome. Think "lift like a runner" and you'll be stronger then before. I still lift twice a week because of it and have returned injury free so far
  • Leauxra
    Leauxra Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't swim because I don't really know how to swim. As a kid I could play in a pool and keep my head above water. I can swim enough to play in the waves at the beach, but as far as lap swimming, I just don't know how.

There's a really nice gym near me. For like $60/mo my husband and I can both join. It has spin class and a pool and a spa and other classes. I don't think it has swimming classes though. I already talked hubby into it, but we're going to be traveling this summer so we'll join up in 3 months when we get back.

Lift like a runner. I like that.

I guess there's just the social aspect of running races twice a month that I'm going to miss. 5k is easy for me now, but it irritates the injury. So even the 5k distance is out. I'm already signed up for a 5k this weekend, but I think that's going to be my last one.
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hope you can heal quickly and get back to running shortly. Maybe you could consider volunteering at a running event while you are recovering and be able to enjoy the social aspect that you like. Not sure if this would aggravate your hip, but can you walk or climb stairs.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What about spinning? There are several spin studios in Princeton.
  • darrinotoole
    darrinotoole Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try jiu jitsu. Should give you a similar feeling and go easier on your legs.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Leauxra wrote: »
    I can't swim because I don't really know how to swim. As a kid I could play in a pool and keep my head above water. I can swim enough to play in the waves at the beach, but as far as lap swimming, I just don't know how.

There's a really nice gym near me. For like $60/mo my husband and I can both join. It has spin class and a pool and a spa and other classes. I don't think it has swimming classes though. I already talked hubby into it, but we're going to be traveling this summer so we'll join up in 3 months when we get back.

Lift like a runner. I like that.

I guess there's just the social aspect of running races twice a month that I'm going to miss. 5k is easy for me now, but it irritates the injury. So even the 5k distance is out. I'm already signed up for a 5k this weekend, but I think that's going to be my last one.

I've had chronic calf/Achilles issues that sidelined me several times, so I understand your disappointment. I think the lifting is a great idea, and I would also recommend time in the water. Either aqua jogging or regular swimming. Though agua jogging isn't very exciting, it sure helps maintain strength without the pounding. And if you really want to stretch your cardio fitness, consider learning to swim laps. Runners can really benefit from gaining aerobic capacity from swimming.

Starting out in freestyle swimming requires a focus on technique. You may enjoy that challenge and learn a new skill. Even if there are no swimming classes at your gym, you should be able to find an experienced swimmer to give you some tips. There are also great resources on the web, such as "Mr Swim Smooth" on YT, or instructional info on sites such as "triathlonswimcoach" . Good luck.