Metformin making me too sick to reach calorie goal

Options
Hey all, so I have PCOS and I take Metformin two times a day, and lately i've had a really hard time reaching my 1200 calorie limit because of how nauseous i've felt. The very thought of any type of food makes me want to throw up.

I guess what i'm asking is, does anyone have any advice to get me off this unhealthy 700-900 calorie limit. I know you're supposed to eat 1200 for more fat loss and just overall health, but i'm never hungry anymore. Sigh. Any advice on what types of food help nausea would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a smoothie or a protein shake, but I would bring it up to your doctor if you think it's the medicine.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Call the pharmacist or the doctor.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you tried glumetza? It's the longer acting version of metformin and usually has less side effects. I've been taking 1000mg for about 3 weeks and the only side effect I've had is a bit of constipation.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definitely speak with your doctor. If you aren't able to eat enough due to medication-induced nausea, you run a risk of malnutrition.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ask for the slow release version of metaformin it should stop the issues
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for discussing this with your doctor. Meanwhile, you can try calorie dense foods like peanut butter.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Okay
    1. Make sure you always take Metformin with food this helps to reduce stomach problems and is possibly your issue. You need to ensure you're getting a decent stomach lining before taking the drugs.
    2. If you've recently begun Metformin consider seeing your doctor as you may require a lower dose.
    3. If neither of the above apply visit your doctor as it may not be your drug causing the sickness.
  • chelsealeeb93
    chelsealeeb93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to be calling my doctor on Monday. The dosage is right, but i think i need to be put on extended release. I read that reduces side effects.

Also, yes it is the drug causing my sickness, the main side effect of metformin is nausea and i was not feeling sick before i started taking it three weeks ago.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Metformin plays a balancing act with your food. If you don't eat enough, for sure you will get nausea. You might cut the pills in half and have a little bit with every meal until you can tolerate a larger dose.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I saw my Doctor and she told me to reduce the dosage to where I no longer felt sick all the time. Then to use my common sense to increase the dosage until I was taking the full dose everyday. I think I had to start with half a pill 2x a day, breakfast and dinner and slowly increased it until I was taking the 3 a day I was supposed to. I had to come off it a couple of years ago, as I was having kidney issues.
  • Amy_loves
    Amy_loves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they will prescribe anti-sickness medication such as domperidone to counter act the side effects.
    Otherwise, if you're feeling more nauseas as they day progresses, maybe have a bigger breakfast and lunch then it won't matter so much for the evening? Xx
  • celtzcastle
    celtzcastle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, make sure to get the extended release. That will minimize the side effects. Also being on it longer will help because your intestines will get used to it. I've been on it for ten years and don't notice any side effects now. When I was diagnosed I was underweight and had severe acne and moderate hirsutism, and had not menstruated in a year. I was also diagnosed with prediabetes at the same time. I was put on Metformin, spironolactone (androgen blocker), and Yasmin (birth control). I'm 29 years old and weaned off spironolactone this past year, and went off birth control about 2 months ago, and had a 26 day cycle immediately! During my current cycle I used those LH urine tests and had a spike on day 19, which gives me about a 34 day cycle. I'm expecting a period this Friday. I was so ecstatic to see that positive test! My fiance and I would like to have children so I'm very relieved. It still might be a challenge, but I'm doing much better than 10 years ago. I still have some dark hairs under my belly button, but those never disappeared even with spironolactone. I think I need laser removal. My skin is oily but I'm able to keep it under control with the Neutrogena shine control powder and primer. The only troubling thing is that I'm experiencing rapid weight gain, which is why I'm using MyFitnessPal again
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor. It's a great drug with anti-aging properties along with its ability to lower blood sugar, but sometimes the dose needs to be adjusted. Some folks just can't tolerate it.