Long run refuel help?

Options
Training for another half marathon just now ( 4 weeks out ) but recently a total uphall of my diet so totally dairy, sugar, gluten free ( cealic + super big issues with dairy)
Just wondering those who run what do you use or what can I use to keep going ... Still on treadmill as I've only just recovered from ankle injury so doesn't have to be put in my pocket... Long runs are around 18-28km after 90 minutes water just isn't enough.
If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

I run after 2 hours after breakfast ( 3 eggs, avocado, berries or so veg ) and have protein powder after

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating your breakfast closer to the time you run or just having a snack before? Personally I don't take any fuel or drink anything but water for runs under 2.5 hours. You could try Nunn, mixing a little juice with your water, or mix a sports drink with some water. If you want something more there are gels, chews, and other edibles for runs - dates, apple sauce (the kids squeeze ones), nuts, orange slices, and homemade granola bars work well if you want actual food.
  • tigernikki
    tigernikki Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat dates during long runs, a couple of them after 10k or so. It works for me.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Generally want to consume something dilute and easily absorbed. That generally means something involving dextrose (glucose) and electrolytes. So I guess it comes down to what you mean by sugar-free.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Training for another half marathon just now ( 4 weeks out ) but recently a total uphall of my diet so totally dairy, sugar, gluten free ( cealic + super big issues with dairy)
    Just wondering those who run what do you use or what can I use to keep going ... Still on treadmill as I've only just recovered from ankle injury so doesn't have to be put in my pocket... Long runs are around 18-28km after 90 minutes water just isn't enough.

I run after 2 hours after breakfast ( 3 eggs, avocado, berries or so veg ) and have protein powder after

I just wanted to say that I feel this is a special moment coming across one of the few people who is gluten free and actually has celiac disease.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    What's the half marathon you are going to run have available?

You won't want to change anything on race day, so you'll either need to bring food with you that you are used to, or train using what the race will have.

However, I agree with the person a couple posts above. I never needed more than water on runs up to the two hours and 20 minutes or so I got up to. I don't get hungry on runs or really struggle with bonking. But after I came back I'd have chocolate milk (I'm lactose intolerant as well, so it was lactaid milk).

Other folks swear by gels, chews, honey stix, etc. Some people prefer real food (fig newtons always sounded appealing to me, but I'm worried it would just make me more thirsty).
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

I just wanted to say that I feel this is a special moment coming across one of the few people who is gluten free and actually has celiac disease.

Ha there is a good few of us ... Wouldn't do it otherwise , it's honestly been an absolute pain. Gluten free to lose weight seems ridiculous to me.

• smileymaxine
    Options
    Have you tried eating your breakfast closer to the time you run or just having a snack before? Personally I don't take any fuel or drink anything but water for runs under 2.5 hours. You could try Nunn, mixing a little juice with your water, or mix a sports drink with some water. If you want something more there are gels, chews, and other edibles for runs - dates, apple sauce (the kids squeeze ones), nuts, orange slices, and homemade granola bars work well if you want actual food.

I start to feel really dizzy after about 90 minutes , blood pressure is low so might try some salts or fruit ...
    I can't eat a full meal earlier than 2/3 hours before a work out or run ridiculously food sensitive... Hopefully find something in the next four weeks I'm sure a bit of sugar won't do any harm
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I start to feel really dizzy after about 90 minutes , blood pressure is low so might try some salts or fruit ...
    I can't eat a full meal earlier than 2/3 hours before a work out or run ridiculously food sensitive... Hopefully find something in the next four weeks I'm sure a bit of sugar won't do any harm

I'm an endurance cyclist so can fuel with solid food as well as drinks but it does sound like you needs a sports drink with glucose and electrolytes. Either commercial or homemade.
    Carb gels are an option too but probably best to go for the isotonic ones when running outdoors as the more compact but concentrated ones will dehydrate you unless you have access to water too.

You can't ingest enough calories when exercising hard to wouldn't really worry about the sugar for one day. Do experiment on your training runs and not on race day (been there, made that mistake).

Carb loading and a high carb breakfast would help too.
  • smileymaxine
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm an endurance cyclist so can fuel with solid food as well as drinks but it does sound like you needs a sports drink with glucose and electrolytes. Either commercial or homemade.
    Carb gels are an option too but probably best to go for the isotonic ones when running outdoors as the more compact but concentrated ones will dehydrate you unless you have access to water too.

You can't ingest enough calories when exercising hard to wouldn't really worry about the sugar for one day. Do experiment on your training runs and not on race day (been there, made that mistake).

Carb loading and a high carb breakfast would help too.

Had to stop half way through today to take a break cutting down carbs 4 weeks out bloody awful idea , least I've had the practice breakfasts , sticking to similar pre meals as I did with the marathon , will try a few gels don't want any weird stomach issues race day
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have mild hyperhidrosis (which is the medical term for the fact that I sweat something awful) so I have to try to replace electrolytes during really long runs. I open dates and stuff them with salt. The side benefit is that they taste like salted caramel. Practice before using during a race, though, because chewing while running seems so wrong at first!