Commercial v Home-made Protein Bars Question

Options
cryptobrit
cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
I have had a go at making my own protein bars after reading they are more cost-efficient, nicer and don't upset your stomach. This can be quite difficult for me due to disabilities, but I wanted to put it to the test and eat what I hoped was food that was more natural. I have a problem getting enough protein and am one of those people who struggle to eat say a can of tuna on its own etc :( . I had been eating the PHD Diet Whey bars, usually between a quarter to a half bar every other day, due to them causing 'funny poo'; sorry to be so graphic but want to give the full picture. I also will make a protein drink up that thankfully gives no side-effects which is made by Pink Sun. My attempts so far seem to be more trouble than they are worth, or alternatively; have the opposite effect. As an example: today I made my best result so far. I had whizzed up half a cup of oats to a flour, mixed in 10g of unflavoured protein powder, a little nut butter, a teaspoon of pure maple syrup to sweeten and a little milk to bind together (I heated the milk and nut butter first to amalgamate). I drizzled a tiny bit of melted Green & Black's 70% cocoa solids chocolate on top. These turned out absolutely delicious and reminiscent of petit fours with a lovely marzipan flavour. The problem here was that this amount made only 4 small balls and were 52 calories each. So it would have been quite easy to polish the 4 off but I have managed to restrain myself eating just 2. Delicious as they were, they were nowhere near as satisfying as the PHD diet whey bars which have around the same calories and more protein. In fact I had left quinoa out this time as although they have protein in the carbs shoot the total up.

So what I am asking is do others make their own despite the faffing about? I did my research before having a go a few weeks ago, and found recipes in general were quite involved with many different ingredients plus the preparation. I based mine on advice I saw that said rather than faff about, just use a base of oat flour and protein flour; add your favourite other ingredients plus a bit of milk and hey presto. This has worked, but like I said, 4 small balls not much bigger than marbles was not what I expected. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed, or should I just stick with the occasional commercial PHD Diet bar?

Replies

• yenge
    yenge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have been dabbling in making my own protein/breakfast bars lately using oats, dates, chia and other seeds and nuts ... these have turned out very nice but each 50g small bar come in at just over 200cals 11g-fat 25g-carbs 6g-Fibre 13g-Sugar and only 5g Protein! I had an organic bar the other day which contained 50% hemp... Im thinking of adding some of this to bulk my recipie up next time, but also need it to have more natural protein - not powders if possible....any ideas?
  • cryptobrit
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do have some hemp protein powder (I know you said not powder), but it has more fat in than the grass-fed whey isolate. I am going to try upping the protein powder and adding slightly cooked quinoa to see how it goes and tastes. I will report back to let you know.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Just to let you know, I haven't forgotten about trying the above. Health and circumstances have got in the way. I have certain things to do and hope to update in around 10 days. Sorry for the delay.
  • vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I throw dates, and nuts and a banana in the blitzer and then mix through some protein powder, press it into a tray, melt some chocolate on top and freeze and slice. Takes no time at all.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Ooh! That sounds lovely. I will definitely try this. Thank you. Have you worked out the calories and macros? Or is it a case of throw it all together and go go go:-)