Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    In all honesty, I wouldn't listen to said nutritionist.

Agreed. I'd dump some of the things she suggests, but yes, dump said "nutritionist". It's a garbage term, with no real parameters. And no, you're not fat because you're eating 1200-1400 calories a day.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day and have lost 30lbs and have been keeping it off. I keep my diary open if you want to add me
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lillisag wrote: »
    • A calorie is a calorie. No matter what form it comes in.
    • Eat less + Move more.
    • Unless you are training for a marathon or a triathlon. You don't need 1500.
    • Stick to 1200.
    • Weigh your food. Make sure you don't eat your calories back when you exercise.

I disagree with some of this.

You don't necessarily have to stick to 1200 calories, many people lose weight eating far more. (I'm not training for anything, do only light to moderate exercise, and eat at least 1400. I'm losing steadily.) It depends on your starting weight, goal weight, height, activity level etc. Set a reasonable goal in MFP like 1lb a week and see how many calories that gives you - eat as much as you can within your limit to avoid feeling hungry and miserable. Even at 1lb per week you'll still lose your 50 in about a year, but it's not a linear progression for most people.

You shouldn't generally eat less than 1200 calories per day, so if you're burning more through exercise you should eat more - most people recommend eating back 50-75% of those calories, because MFP overestimates the burns. You should be netting 1200 calories, not eating only 1200.

But as for weighing your food - most definitely yes, as many others have said. That and checking what an actual 'serving' of your food should be are the most important things for you to know exactly how much you're eating. Most people are pretty bad at eyeballing portion sizes, and once you start weighing and measuring things it really can be an eye-opening experience! So please do buy a food scale as soon as you can and start using it for everything, even pre-packaged things that have a weight on the packet. (They're often wrong.)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    no no no more starvation mode threads, please. Starving people in bangladesh, india , africa, think about it, are they fat? Are they even 'skinny fat'? No, they are not fat. there is no 'starvation mode'.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Strange title and wrong !

Eating too much is what makes us fat, eating too little and we starve and eventually our organs start shutting down ....

Find what number works for you whether that is 1200 ( for some it may well have to be that little) or 2000 or more! The point is to lose weight eating as much as possible not as little as possible imo :smiley:

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    OP, find out your tdee then subtract 300 to 500 calories to lose weight and only eat that many if you choose to lose. Be careful to pick which activity level you are at with honesty. This is really very simple and mfp supports you in logging your calories.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    "I'm fat because I don't eat enough!!!"

Really? Explain how anorexics, for example, get to 80 lbs.

This. My grandfather used to say he never saw anyone coming out of Auschwitz obese.

0_0 Daanng.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lillisag wrote: »
    • Unless you are training for a marathon or a triathlon. You don't need 1500.
    • Stick to 1200. [/b]

This is BS. Please do not listen to this person, she has no idea what she's talking about here.
  • MicheletteLew
    MicheletteLew Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How many have heard of alternate day fasting? I am thinking of doing that and read wonderful reports about good health and weight loss, mental alertness.
    In her defense she didn't say that - she said I needed to eat 1500 a day to lose weight - and most days I don't eat that much!!!
    Also I am 64 and have mobility issues because of a accident and knee replacement.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Eat the suggested 1500 and see what happens - but make sure you get a scale and weigh your food so that you're accurate (and log everything), because it's very easy to underestimate how much you're eating!

Personally I wouldn't want to try the fasting myself, because I want to eat regularly and feel ill if I don't. I don't see that that kind of thing is necessary, but many people seem to have success on various kinds of "intermittent fasting". You might want to try just adjusting your diet for a while first and see how things go with that, before making drastic changes?

If you'd like to try some gentle exercise, trying looking up routines for things like chair yoga or "limited mobility" - I did a search for someone a while back and found quite a number of exercise that are suitable for people with disabilities or mobility issues.