Partner is a fussy eater - help!

2»

Replies

• Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Not to offend anyone, but to me it's incredibly childish to be an adult and still a fussy eater. If my wife were to make something for dinner for us, I'm definitely going to eat it. I may not have gobs and gobs of it like I used to, but I'll still eat it because she went through the effort to make it. There are only a couple things I don't like to eat, and it's mostly due to moral objections (veal, duck, foie gras, lamb).

I'm not offended at all, I actually completely agree. I just don't think it's worth the daily argument with my partner though ;)
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I don't see why this is an issue.....oh...uh.. sorry. I read the thread title wrong.

Haha. I did the same thing.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    In my house, if I make it, you eat it - you can tell me that its crap, and I wont make it again though. My dad was always very respectful of my mothers cooking - if he didnt like what she made, he would eat a portion, decline anything further, and tell her that he meal was wonderfully "nutritious"!!

So for picky eaters, hide veg (like carrots or zucchini, shredded) in meatloaf or meatballs, or spag sauce. Experiment with different ways to cook things - boiled veg is yucky, but roasted, it is an entirely different thing, and so much more tasty.

Or post a list on the fridge or counter about a proposed menu for the week and ask for his input - that way you wont waste any money on experiments that he wont even try.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I don't see why this is an issue.....oh...uh.. sorry. I read the thread title wrong.

Once seen, cannot unsee.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Not to offend anyone, but to me it's incredibly childish to be an adult and still a fussy eater. If my wife were to make something for dinner for us, I'm definitely going to eat it. I may not have gobs and gobs of it like I used to, but I'll still eat it because she went through the effort to make it. There are only a couple things I don't like to eat, and it's mostly due to moral objections (veal, duck, foie gras, lamb).

What is wrong with lamb?? I raise sheep. I find that it is a huge misconception that people have. They hear "lamb" and think of a tiny, cute little baby. In reality the best time(for the producer) to sell a "lamb" for meat is when they are 80-90lbs. That usually works out to an animal that is 7-9 months old and has been away from its mother for a few months already. And they are almost the same size of their parents. Not so cute and not at all baby. Sorry for the off topic. It is nothing like veal where they are often penned so they cannot move to keep the resulting meat tender.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member

Last time I had shrimp :confounded: I involuntarily gagged and had I been at a dinner table or in a nice restaurant you could probably classify it as 'making a scene'. I don't feel it's childish to avoid foods that will cause me to have that sort of reaction.

I wouldn't classify myself as a fussy eater, I'll eat most things but some things are downright gross and not worth trying anymore.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Last time I had shrimp :confounded: I involuntarily gagged and had I been at a dinner table or in a nice restaurant you could probably classify it as 'making a scene'. I don't feel it's childish to avoid foods that will cause me to have that sort of reaction.

I wouldn't classify myself as a fussy eater, I'll eat most things but some things are downright gross and not worth trying anymore.

I agree with you there. By "fussy eater" I envision someone who is like a little kid, only eating chicken nuggets and orange soda for two out of three meals of the day. I had a friend who, no matter where we went to eat, would always have a burger, and wouldn't allow the burger to touch her fries or any other side dish that it came with. Hell, she even pronounced fajita "fah-gitta".
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member

What is wrong with lamb?? I raise sheep. I find that it is a huge misconception that people have. They hear "lamb" and think of a tiny, cute little baby. In reality the best time(for the producer) to sell a "lamb" for meat is when they are 80-90lbs. That usually works out to an animal that is 7-9 months old and has been away from its mother for a few months already. And they are almost the same size of their parents. Not so cute and not at all baby. Sorry for the off topic. It is nothing like veal where they are often penned so they cannot move to keep the resulting meat tender.

I guess I'm guiltily in the population that thinks "baby" :( Sorry...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    We have about a half dozen recipes that get cycled through as proven favourites and once in a while I try something new. If I get rave reviews the recipe gets a star.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I haven't read any other responses, but my initial thought was....he must be cooking what he likes on his nights, sooooo....if you tailor your nights to fit what he'll eat without griping, are you ever gonna get to eat how you want to?

If it's that much of an issue then I think you should each make double of whatever you like so you each have leftovers of what you enjoy eating. Simple solution.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've read a lot of posts about fussy partners, all of which seem to contain that they eat some form of fruit or veg...my issue is that my partner, quite literally, only eats peas and carrots and if he's feeling adventurous, maybe a grape. This makes cooking very hard in our home...salads, stir fry's, Mediterranean style dinners, casseroles, to name a few, are literally off the menu. I love these types of meals and I love cooking and experimenting, but he is so reluctant to try anything...his argument is that he's in his 30's and knows what he likes and he's coped all this time, so why change now!! I'm fortunate to some degree that he works rotated shifts so some weeks I cook dinner for one...bliss...but it the interim weeks, I normally have to play around with the meals I make to please him or face creating extra cleaning up if I do separate meals/additions to my part of the dinner. Any ideas how I turn this around?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @Rushbrook60 every once in a while I break out and try a new recipe. Hubby never complains. He simply breaks open the beans. I assume your guy knows how to operate the microwave. If you have heat and serve portions of peas and carrots ready for him in the freezer he can supplement as he desires.

Sort of like putting ketchup on a steak, but hey if that's his thing....
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Rushbrook60 every once in a while I break out and try a new recipe. Hubby never complains. He simply breaks open the beans. I assume your guy knows how to operate the microwave. If you have heat and serve portions of peas and carrots ready for him in the freezer he can supplement as he desires.

Sort of like putting ketchup on a steak, but hey if that's his thing....

Actually that's not a bad idea, except we don't have a microwave, but doesn't stop it being heated on the stove. when we have things like enchiladas, I'll fill mine with peppers, onions and mushrooms...he has the most exciting of fillings...chicken only. Only trouble there is we end up with two pans on the stove and two dishes in the oven so double the cleaning up...think I'll need to get him some marigolds for Christmas to teach him a lesson haha!!