SKIN SUCCESS stories- for WOMEN OVER 55 ONLY, please!

Options
NewMEEE2016
NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
Are you a woman over 55 who has lost 30 lbs or more and DID NOT have an issue with loose skin? Or did you have an issue, but resolved it- either by exercise, surgery, radio frequency treatment- or something else? If so, please post your story here! I need inspiration!

Replies

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @pdxwine Congratulations on **92** lbs. That's incredible. Over what period of time did you lose it, and how old are you?

I'm hoping we will hear from some women over 55 who have actually found a way to rid themselves of the excess skin- or who never got it in the first place.
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    54 yrs old ( hope that's close enough
  • deannc1
    Options
    4 babies and 70 lbs lost. I gained back about half last year but am within 10 lbs of my original loss. I have 40 more to goal.
    I have started investigating having a tummy tuck. I've recently had a virtual consultation with a plastic surgeon. He recommended an Inverted T tuck with lipo on my flanks.
    I could exercise until the cows come home and there is simply no way to tighten up this volume of loose skin.
    I also have loose skin on my upper thighs and arms but nowhere near the degree of my stomach.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Thanks very much for the input, @deannc1 . Over what period of time did you lose the weight? When you pinch the loose skin, is it very thin (ie, do your fingers touch?) as they would if you pinched the skin on your hand? Did the surgeon recommend losing all the weight you want to lose first?
  • deannc1
    Options
    When I pinch, my fingers don't touch. There is still a layer of fat beneath the skin. I wouldn't consider having the surgery until I lose an additional 40 lbs, which I hope to accomplish by October. If I did get it now then lose more weight, I'd be back in the same boat! My children are mostly grown, the youngest will be 18 soon. I told them that they're paying for my surgery as a thank you for giving birth to them
  • deannc1
    Options
    At this age and with that amount of weight loss surgery is the only solution. He will also tighten the abdominal muscles during the surgery. The reason for the inverted T , also known as a Fleur de lis, is to address the upper abdominal pouch. This will allow him to tighten my waist area.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @deannc1 I love your rationale for why they should pay for the surgery. Seems absolutely fair to me! That's the LEAST they can do :)

ANYONE out there in this age group who lost and didn't have any remaining loose skin- or who "snapped back" eventually?

[Btw, this am for the first time I saw the number "163" (.6) on the scale!!! Only .6 lbs from a 30 lb loss since Jan 1 :smile: I have purposely slowed it down b/c of the "skin" thing- want to lose about another 15, but for now I'm going to focus on weight training.]
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    PS- @deannc1- over what period of time did you lose the weight?
  • deannc1
    Options
    Between March of 2014- 2015 I lost 70 lbs. Between 2015-2016 I regained 35lbs. From February 2016 until now I've relost 25 of that gain. Overall I want to lose another 40lbs before having surgery. 50lbs would be fantastic! Lol!!!
    Because the pregnancy weight gain and subsequent loss was so drastic surgery is my only option...unless I want to wear body shapers daily.

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    Thanks, @deannc1. Not to worry- you can look forward to being as close to perfection as humanely possible! :) I'd imagine it will be a great incentive NOT to gain weight back after the surgery! I imagine it's not cheap....
  • deannc1
    Options
    No it's not cheap, but I'm fortunate that my bff moved to one of the busiest plastic surgery states-Florida- in the country. It's a difference of about 40% between there and here. Plus she will take care of me afterwards.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    @deannc1 that sounds like a great plan! Amazing that it's so much cheaper there! I never would have imagined. I've heard that plastic surgery can be WAY cheaper & better overseas...
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @pdxwine Congratulations on **92** lbs. That's incredible. Over what period of time did you lose it, and how old are you?

I'm hoping we will hear from some women over 55 who have actually found a way to rid themselves of the excess skin- or who never got it in the first place.

I started this journey in May, 2014. It came off quickly, in the beginning, then slowed, as it should. The weight went on faster than it came off. I was very thin, then put on over 120 pounds. I am now close to my former thin weight, as well as fitness level.

I am, currently, 57, which pisses me off as my mind tells me that I am still 32.

• NewMEEE2016
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

I started this journey in May, 2014. It came off quickly, in the beginning, then slowed, as it should. The weight went on faster than it came off. I was very thin, then put on over 120 pounds. I am now close to my former thin weight, as well as fitness level.

I am, currently, 57, which pisses me off as my mind tells me that I am still 32.

That's great that you're so close to goal. Congratulations!!!! What about the skin situation?
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    PS @pdxwine I hear you. I'm 32 in my mind, too. I wish I would have taken off the weight much sooner- but definitely better late than never!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'm 57. I have lost 30 lbs.
    no loose skin. Really.

I'm about 1/2 way to my ultimate goal.

Slow and steady has done it. Being physically active.
    Not being large for too long-I was over 200 lbs for less than a year.

and good genes.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    I'm 57. I have lost 30 lbs.
    no loose skin. Really.

I'm about 1/2 way to my ultimate goal.

Slow and steady has done it. Being physically active.
    Not being large for too long-I was over 200 lbs for less than a year.

and good genes.

Very encouraging, thanks so much! Are you on hormone replacement? Over what period of time did you lose the weight? Do you lift weights?
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

That's great that you're so close to goal. Congratulations!!!! What about the skin situation?

I have some extra skin on my arms and stomach. I wear a body shaper, so if you saw me in public, you would not notice.
  • kathygk56
    kathygk56 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and am down 98+ pounds from my initial starting weight (I had to lose about 45 pounds twice, ugh, because I regained.) I do have loose skin on my arms, legs and abdomen, and that was sadly one of the things that discouraged me from continuing a couple of years ago. Now I'm about where I want to be weight wise and have slowed down the loss and trying to focus on regaining some muscle tone. My skin is very gradually getting better, but I'll probably have some loose skin for the duration.
    I'm healthy and I've decided that I'd rather have the saggy skin than the extra pounds. My bingo arms are the only parts visible to the general public, and they are improving as the muscles get stronger.

No real answers, sorry, but that's my experience.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!