Firefighter/Paramedic needs own saving.

Options
dekoman
dekoman Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hello my name is Andrew. I am 28 years old and need to loose at least 50 lbs. I am a full time career firefighter paramedic in Illinois. I take care of others but never myself. I need help in pursuing my goal of a 50lb weight loss. After the fire academy in 2011 i was down 20 lbs and worked out every day 1 month after graduating, I tore my plantar plate.

Nothing has been the same even after surgery. It's been a very depressing emotional ride. How am I supposed be my best at saving lives, when I cannot save my own.

Since weight gain years ago I have been diagnosed with medical issues. I am too young to have these issues and can reverse them if I shed the weight. I have been yo-yo-ing for the past 2 years trying loosing weight. Please help a brother out.

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Best of success to you, Andrew! There is some great info on these boards :)
  • Pyr0catalyst
    Pyr0catalyst Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    dekoman wrote: »
    Hello my name is Andrew. I am 28 years old and need to loose at least 50 lbs. I am a full time firefighter paramedic. I take care of others but never myself. I need help in pursuing my goal of a 50lb weight loss.

Since weight gain years ago I have been diagnosed with medical issues. I am too young to have these issues and can reverse them if I shed the weight. I have been yoyoing for the past 2 years with loosing weight.

Welcome, Andrew!
    Hope this app works for you and good luck on your journey.
    :)
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome ^^ I will send you a friend request.
  • MaxT370
    MaxT370 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the step to get started Andrew! I'm new here as well, maybe we can support each other.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Add me for support! It is really important to take care of yourself, not only others. I wish you all the best on your journey. x
  • blb_86
    blb_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Welcome Andrew! I am a paramedic as well looking at possible adding firefighter to my resume when I feel like I could pass the fitness test. Feel free to add me for extra support. I am on here daily
  • jaxtraxdiet
    jaxtraxdiet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrew I just sent you a request. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time, I can totally relate with you. I struggle with depression and anxiety, life can be so hard on us. But in order to really help others we need to take care of ourselves first right?
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Try 555fitness.com

It's a website/charity specifically tailored to firefighters.
  • FromFattie2Fittie
    FromFattie2Fittie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Andrew! I will send you an add :) Also, thanks so much for what you do :)
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Well done for taking the first step.
  • kendjohn1234
    kendjohn1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're making the right first step!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Alot of people on here have lost more than 50 lbs, so you're good to go. Read the introductory information so that you know the basics. A digital food scale and weighing and measuring everything you eat is essential to start. You need to know what your portions are and how many calories your favorite foods have--they many have to be limited. Excercise is a big help. It makes you feel better about yourself and helps your body shrink properly while losing. Since you've got problems excercising, ask your doctor what you can do, or walking is always good to start. Never give up and you'll make it. Good luck.