Help with long periods and feeling weak

Options
I've had a copper IUD inserted for about a month or two, and was obviously aware of the longer, more painful periods I would experience. I have now been on a period for over 20 days, it has been very heavy for the last 2 weeks or so, with bouts of light bleeding before this, I have been feeling weaker, and not hungrier but feeling like i need more energy from food the past week when the bleeding has been really heavy, I have no knowledge on the subject but is this all just a psychological thing convincing myself i need more food when i don't. I currently eat 1200 calories a day and am trying to lose the last 10-15lbs, the last two days I have gone over this by a couple of hundred because I've just felt faint, and like I haven't had enough, normally I can finish the day satisfied with 1200 but lately not so much. Does any one else experience this with long periods?

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're probably iron deficient. Call your doctor and let them know- there might be options they can help you with. I've taken medications to mostly stop my period since I was about 22 because my ferritin levels were borderline low, haven't had an issue since.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have experience with long periods. For a little over a year, I thought it was just perimenopause and normal. Finally I went to the Dr. Turns out it was perimenopause, but not normal. They had me in surgery about 3 weeks later.

Go see your Dr.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have fibroids which cause heavy bleeding and need to take iron tablets. I would see your doctor just to get checked out and also blood test to check your iron levels.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Have you been tested for a copper allergy? I'd see your doctor.

Also, what are your stats (height, current weigh, age)? 1200 may be too aggressive for you, especially if you're having to eat a few hundred more.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Probably anemic. I would speak to your gyn about those issues. Maybe take a slow-fe iron.
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis so i can relate. Any sexual activity makes me bleed for all day the next day
  • NinaMichele11
    NinaMichele11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for a copper allergy? I'd see your doctor.

Also, what are your stats (height, current weigh, age)? 1200 may be too aggressive for you, especially if you're having to eat a few hundred more.

Hi, I'm 5ft 4, 25 and weigh 154lbs at the moment, I've been calorie counting for over a year now on 1200. I haven't been tested for a copper allergy, in regards to being anemic or iron deficiancy, I have thalasemia trait which always affects my blood results.
  • NinaMichele11
    NinaMichele11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I also take supplements, and a-z vitamin tablets daily.
  • PantoneRed
    PantoneRed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't rule out PCOS. Polycystic ovary syndrome is a common endocrine system disorder among women of reproductive age. Irregular periods are the most common characteristic include menstrual intervals some longer than 35 days, mood swings, bloating, among other symptoms. A family member has been diagnosed and has benefited greatly with following a ketosis diet.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doc any heavy bleeding that's effecting you to this extent may mean a problem. You can eat more I'm 3 inches shorter and would gnaw my arm off eating that little long term. So maybe scale back to like a lb a week or less it's just 10 lbs it won't hurt for it to take 3 monthes instead of just over 1.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I need to be active on day one or 2 of my period, taking an iron pill or 2 helps immensely. not sure if that would be enough for you, it sounds like you should maybe talk to your doctor.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm more concerned with the 20 day period. Is this normal after having an IUD fitted?

I had the never ending period with Implanon so I ended up having to get it removed.