Help: weekend bingeing

Options
I'm managing to lose weight during the week on a 1500kcal diet. I'm a relatively disciplined and motivated person, but when it comes to the weekend I can't seem to keep myself from bingeing (2500kcal+)! I don't think it's the lack of routine; it seems to be my mindset. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to stay on track.

Replies

• fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but here are a few things I can think of (from personal experience and friends):

1) If the issue is going out to eat, try to eat a small healthy meal or filling snack at home before you go (cucumber, celery and carrots w/half serving of low calorie ranch or hummus and a hard boiled egg), so that you are not too hungry when you arrive at the restaurant. Immediately ask for a to-go box and save half of your meal for lunch the next day.

2)Allow yourself ONE small *cheat item each weekend day. Ex/On Sat go ahead and have a drink with friends, but don't eat the greasy appetizer. Pick a healthier option. Sun: Go ahead and have a FEW pieces of dark chocolate. If you still crave sweetness, have a fuji apple, or plain yogurt with berries. You do have to make sacrifices, but don't need to try and deprive yourself of everything you like. It only makes the cravings worse IMO.

3)Keep your diary OPEN, and make sure you log EVERYTHING. Even your binges. I used to be too ashamed to log 4 beers, or 2 servings of ice cream for example, but found that being honest has forced me to be accountable. So now, I think twice before going overboard.

4) Simply limit your opportunity to binge by not purchasing the bad stuff. Maybe allow ONLY ONE item like a single dark chocolate bar that you break apart and eat over a few days. The rest of your food should be healthier. Stock up on veggies and cut them up a head of time so they're easy to grab. After a while, you will start to prefer the veggies and fruit over the junk...even on the weekend.

5)This one might be a little weird, but it's helping me. Take just a few mins each day to look at healthy before/after pictures of people with a similar build. You will see a lot of BS adds or fad diet claims, but don't pay attention to that. Just look at the pictures and tell yourself that you WILL get there too if you stay dedicated...it isn't a lie either, there is a 100% chance (baring any unaddressed health issues) that you WILL achieve your goal if you keep your calorie deficit and physical activity.

Goodluck, you've got this!
  • aliceband21
    aliceband21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much fit4all! That was so encouraging :smile: I especially liked 5)
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I make sure that on weekends I have the same big breakfast as I have on weekdays. For me, the big breakfast (ok, 250 calories might not impress you, but I'm used to it.) keeps hunger away for several hours and allows me to, if necessary, take my wife to a restaurant and get a salad for me then get home and get the rest of my lunchtime calories with food in the house. Which is sort of what I'm doing today. It's not a binge. It's just a quota being filled slowly.