Weightloss has stopped!

Options
Ok, so I read these message boards all the time and I know what other people say. Increase your calories, change up your routine. It's not working!!! I am 5'3 and I weigh 260 pounds. I lost 20 pounds last year and then an additional 30 pounds since March this year. My weightloss has been pretty steady. The last few weeks it slowed down with a pound here and a pound there. But now...NOW I haven't lost any weight in 10 days! Yikes!

I workout at the gym 6 days a week including 2 thirty minute sessions each week with a personal trainer. I do the treadmill, elliptical, bike and all the weights. I even did an hour long bootcamp session this weekend thinking it would jumpstart my weightloss again only to see the same ol' 260 pounds on the scale. I eat between 1300-1600 calories a day and I burn 250-400 calories during my workouts depending on the day and what I do. Oh, I was having trouble getting my 8 glasses of water in but I have been working on this a lot! The last couple weeks I have been drinking the 8 glasses.

What am I doing wrong?? I don't want another 10 days to pass with no loss. This is getting discouraging....

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    1300-1600 and burning off 400, you are still netting possible 900-1200 a day... is this after your calorie increase? Stll sounds like you might need to eat a little more
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    10 days without a loss is not something to worry about. 6 weeks without a loss = true plateau.

Just keep on keeping on! You'll get to where you want to be. :-)
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I always net at least 1200. If I burn the 400 calories, I will eat the 1600.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    be a little patient - you body will rebound a bit and you may hit "flat spots" in the progress. Dontr be discouraged - hold the course!
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    What's your Protein/Carb/Fat breakdown typically been? You can still eat the same calories you've been eating and change those things will help.

Adding interval cardio will also help. Even replacing what you normally do with intervals 1 day a week. Add fish oil?

How are you measuring your calories during workouts? HRM, BodyMedia/Bugg? At your current weight a solid hour of intense cardio should burn in the 600-800 range depending on what you're doing.

As you get more in shape it will take more effort for your body to burn those calories.

Are you fully measuring everything you eat? In the beginning it's easier to lose weight by making small changes and you can still cheat a little and lose. As your body adapts you may need to be sure all calories logged are accurate. I'm not just talking about overestimating. At that low of net calories for your weight, underestimating can be bad as well.

If it does continue past 4-6 weeks based on your current weight, calories in and exercise routine, you could consult your doctor. There may be something else going on metabolically they can determine and help you through.

You're doing great. Keep going.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always net at least 1200. If I burn the 400 calories, I will eat the 1600.

I'm thinking you should be eating even more than that.
  • Maria_DL
    Maria_DL Posts: 2
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs. since the 26th of May. I made sure that I am burning at least more than 500 cals/day. I tend to stick to 1200 calories intake a day and sometimes less than that but make sure I have my multi vit. daily with lots of fruits & vegie. The most hurting sacrifice I made was to eat only once ot twice meat a week and use other healthier protein substitute such as tofu, mushroom, boiled eggs etc..
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not eating enough calories. 1,200 calories for some near their goal weight is realistic but when you have a good amount of weight left to lose you need to eat more. Your body takes more fuel than someone who is in lower 100's. I'm 5'7" and 251, I have to eat nearly 1,400 calories a day for a 2 pound a week loss. What is MFP telling you your daily NET goal is?
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Put your scale in your closet and get out your measuring tape. If you are working out consistently, you are going to build muscle mass. Muscle is denser than fat so a pound of muscle takes up less space than fat (contrary to popular myth, muscle does not WEIGH more than fat because a pound is a pound no matter how you measure it). If you are not seeing any changes on the scale, you may be replacing each pound of fat you lose with a pound of muscle. In that case, you will see a difference in inches lost instead of pounds lost. Go to google images and search for "muscle versus fat density" and you will get a great representation of the difference in size of 5 pounds of muscle against five pounds of fat.
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    MFP pal says 1340 calories a day.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Look up Zigzagging on the boards. I wasnt losing so I started yesterday. Down a pound. It might not work for everyone, I'm no expert, but it cant hurt to try it.
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    My trainer has been taking my measurments. Last month I lost 12 inches! I have another assessment scheduled for this Saturday. I've only lost 5 pounds since my last assessment. I am very anxious to see the inches.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest looking at your diary is to look at your sugar intake. Your sugars aren't usually coming from natural sources, they're coming from your instant oatmeal and grape jelly. Also, are you switching up your exercise or doing the same things? I know you added a boot camp this past weekend, but what about in your regular schedule? There is definitely something to be said for muscle confusion.
  • Hadenuf
    Hadenuf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG I know EXACTLY where you're coming from in the frustration department. I'm 5'6" and exactly 260 pounds and I've been stuck here for 4 weeks! A month! Like you, I've been steadily losing weight since January (48 lbs) and I just wanna see that 50 lbs lost sign on my profile already!!!! If you figure it out before I do, let me know and I will do the same.

4207658.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    What did you set as your weight loss goal per week?
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    MFP pal says 1340 calories a day.

You should try netting that many calories a day for a few weeks and see how it goes. A few weeks ago I was unintentionally netting 1,200 calories a day and I didn't lose weight or inches. As soon as I realized what was happening, I fixed it and my weight loss began again. 140 calories may not seem like much but it's possible you might need that bit of calories to get your body going again. Also, like others have said, try measuring and pay attention to how your clothes fit.
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    Weightloss goal is set at 2 pounds per week...
  • ChristyP0303
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I will try adding a little more calories per day. (Which makes me nervous!) However I have a hard time reaching the calories I'm already eating. I'm already eating peanut butter, nuts and using olive oil to cook with. I am a somewhat picky eater and once I find something I like, I stick with it. I'm not sure how I will get in more....
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Your body is willing to give up the gross amount of fat some folks have quite rapidly but once you start getting to a certain point it doesn't want to give it up so freely. I don't lose weight every week but generally i do every couple. It may be a lb or two or less. I'm not at my goal weight but i am at my ideal weight for my height , age and frame size. Just keep on doing what your doing and you willl be fine.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A quick check of your diary would indicate that your daily protein levels are too low. Take a one-day break from dieting (don't splurge though!) and adjust your goals so that your daily protein levels are equivalent to, or preferably greater than your daily carbohydrate goals. Perhaps you can give 35-40% protein a try.