Any navy people have advise for fitness while on deployment?

Options
I get deployed for the first time since joining and I've been doing really good with my diet and working out obviously I'm going to have to improvise some. does anyone have any tips on how I can keep it up while one the ship for 6 months

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Are you more active on the ship than you were on shore?
    How often do you eat on the ship?
  • jtsmiles28
    jtsmiles28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you for your service and God bless you!
  • RochelleLUnangst
    RochelleLUnangst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bring a *kitten* load of healthy snacks! Protein bars...lite popcorn! You will often go 30-40 days without seeing anything except mostly unhealthy and repetitive galley food. You will get sick of it really fast and want to snack on the junk in the vending machines.

Right before you leave I recommend going to Nuts.com and buying large bulk bags of healthy snacks (nuts, dried fruit and veggies, cheesy kale chips...). They will take a few months to arrive to the ship but you will be SO happy you got them.

Eat the fruit while its there...it only stays good for so long and when you're underway for a month you won't see anything fresh.
  • cmlegend99
    cmlegend99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is deploying very soon and his plan to to just eat as healthy and whole as he can. Lots of salads, fruits, granola bars, WATER WATER WATER -- no soda. Limited sugar in his coffee.... he is also thinking about buying some protein powder while out. He said the ships store has it sometimes but it goes quick... so. Maybe have someone on the mainland send you some via snailmail if you can. He said a lot of people use this time to get very fit since all you are doing is working and then working out (to blow off steam and there isnt much else to do). Last time he was deployed he lost a lot of weight. His clothes were falling off. I also plan to lose 100 lbs while he is gone. Good luck and make the most of your port visits!!! See the world! :)