Maybe low carb is not right for me?

Options
Im eating atbout 1700 calories a day, keeping it under 60 carbs, no fruit, 100 oz water, buring about 700-1000 calories a day. And things just are not moving for me.
Maybe I should be eating more? Maybe I should be eating less?
I dont know anymore....

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1700 and burning up to 1000, that is like eating 700 (1700-1000) on days you don't workout, which is not enough for anyone. You should try for a minimum of 1200 Net, so eat your 1700 of days you don't workout or burn up to 500 calories but on days you burn 1000 you should get a minimum of 2200.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-MlHlDhHs, pay attention at 1:15.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    omg eat fruit!! Do you eat your exercise cals? You may need to bump up and does some high intensity interval training or zig zag calories.
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    *Bump* Really interested in seeing some responses. Wish I could help. :/
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You're burning 700-1000 cals a day, but only eating 1700. That leaves your net calories at 700-1000. That's pretty darn low. If you are truly burning that many calories, then you need to eat more. Are you going by what MFP tells you?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would say think of it as a "low starch" diet. Stay away from breads, pastas, etc, but eat the fruits and veggies. Remember, some of their carbs come from fiber, which doesn't count.

and as the others said, get up to at least 1200 net.
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you should be eating MORE. If you eat 1700 calories, and burn off 1000 working out, you're only giving your body 700 calories to work off of to do the daily stuff you don't think about (walking to the rest room and back, etc.). Try netting a few more calories. When your body is forced to operate off of to few calories, it will often go into storage mode (aka starvation mode- yes, you can be there and NOT feel hungry) when your body STORES everything you give it because it doesn't know if it's going to have enough to get by.
  • plentyoo7
    plentyoo7 Posts: 38
    Options
    I recommend what the first commentor has, you're probably not eating enough. What's your vegetable intake like?
    I wouldn't shun fruit, I wouldn't go over board on it either.

Also you need carbs if you are very active. Your body needs to get the energy from somewhere and living on 60 grams of carbs is pretty low for an active individual.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You *can* do that but I wouldn't do it for more than a day or two -- especially if you are cutting carbs.
    You will deplete glycogen stores and start to feed on your own muscles..

Once you figure out your low carb set point you can cycle calories for killer fat loss. I wouldn't recommend this as a starting point or if you decide to go low carb you must plan a re-feed day.. Trust me.. I did low carb for too long and turned into a skinny rat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/grunt1/view/optimal-fat-loss-beyond-exercise-calories-117609
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you're not getting enough net calories, your body goes into starvation mode and works against your weight loss plan by tenaciously hanging onto everything it gets. It will also slow your metabolism so you feel tired and lethargic all the time. You need to reassure your body that everything is fine by raising your total net calories to at least 1500 per day. You may gain weight for a little while as your body comes out of starvation mode, but eventually things will settle down and you'll lose weight again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are between 700 & 1000 (if your calories burned are correct) ...... This is pretty low.

Your body needs FUEL for your workouts. Why did you decide low carb? The low carb is kind of a gimmick - it's been around since the 1970's. (I'm sure I'll get slammed for this - YES body builders - I know YOU need lots of protein). Low carbs may help you weight quicker .... but lifestyle changes help you keep weight off.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I think this lo-carb craze is just an over-reaction to the previous lo-fat craze. When everyone went lo-fat they replaced their fats with carbs.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the simple balance diet, with healthy fats and complex carbs and other nutrient dense foods.

Healthy fats MUFAs and PUFAs are good and necessary for lots of stuff like brain functions and reducing type2 diabetes and so much more.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Im using a HRM, so I like to think my calories burned are pretty accurate. I exercise every day, this per my personal trainer. Tuesday and Thursdays I do an hour of circuit training with him, the rest of the days I do the treadmill and aerobics.
    The carbs are calories are per him also, so I have been afraid to eat more. I have a lot to lose, so he is trying to get me to lose alot right up front, its not really working out.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Remember how last week I was complaining about slowing down and just getting worn out? I did 'up' my calories and it's working. I know you're working with the trainer and you're working incredibly hard, but I'm not sure I'd be going to him for nutritional advise. I definitely think you need more calories than that. And considering what I already know you're doing with your workouts you do need more carbs as well. In your situation, I think you should talk to a certified nutritionist and kind of sync together with what you're doing with the trainer! And, by the way... I think you're doing a lot better than you think you are! Stop being so hard on yourself!