Anyone overcome binge eating disorder?

Options
Just need some tips on how now to binge. I just crave food so much it's an addiction. My mom bought a dress for me which I probably won't fit into as a binged after one day of not binging . I've been binging everyday for 5 weeks

Replies

• TheRavenne
    TheRavenne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I admit to being addicted to food. I have a hard time dealing with cravings at times, especially at night. I started going to Overeaters Anonymous meetings a few years ago and that did help me a bit. Their concepts, especially about abstinence and following a plan of eating, as well as having an action plan for when cravings hit, do make a lot of sense.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a therapist or health care professional yet? That would be a really good place to start. I couldn't get past my binging without help from my therapist.
  • anne_driessen
    anne_driessen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Personally im still working on overcoming it, its very difficult, anything can set the "binging urge" off. Somethings that helped manage it a bit for me were
    1. Try to make some sort of meal schedule (and try to only have those foods in the house - so even if you do bindge it may at least be on relatively healthy foods - although this may be hard if you dont live by yourself)
    2. Try journaling/writing emotions down (for me bindging seems to be a way of coping with emotions)
    3. Try drinking tea/water
    4. Do anything to keep your mind of it (sometimes bindging comes from bordom)

These steps work for me and came from me observing what my bindging habits/patterns/triggers were - I think its worth while trying to figure it out for youe self so you can (slowly) start making changes to deal with it in a better way then eating!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried self help books? I've bought and am reading "Brain over binge", written by a young woman who did overcome not just binge eating, but bulimia.
  • Racheldasilva174
    Racheldasilva174 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you tried self help books? I've bought and am reading "Brain over binge", written by a young woman who did overcome not just binge eating, but bulimia.

No I haven't yet I'm worried they won't help
  • Racheldasilva174
    Racheldasilva174 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a therapist or health care professional yet? That would be a really good place to start. I couldn't get past my binging without help from my therapist.
    I am suppose to I'm on a 3 month waiting list.
  • mommasplash
    mommasplash Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've found some (free online) hypnosis YouTube videos to be really helpful, both at reducing the stress that proceeds or follows a binge, and also helpful in reducing the amount I consume during one. They helped me to find, and stick to, other non-destructive coping mechanisms. I couldn't afford to see a therapist, so reading around the subject (library books) and these videos have been incredibly helpful.
    I like to listen to them before I go to sleep, but also in the day if I have a moment, as sometimes they're so effective at getting me to sleep at the end of the day, that I don't hear what's being said !

Overcoming binge eating is a slow process, and there'll be times when you'll find it easy to control it and times when its the opposite... especially when there are other factors at play (ie stress in general, pre-menstrual sugar cravings, having feelings that you need to 'stuff down' and following a strict weight reduction diet were some of mine)
    It's important to not feel that you have 'failed' if you binge. It's a process, not something that you can flick a mental switch for and it's suddenly all gone :)
    Be kind to yourself when things aren't going well... not punishing yourself will help you in the process of finding an emotional and physical balance.
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering food addict and binge eater. I've found a lot of help with FAA's food plan. Good luck!

http://foodaddictsanonymous.org/are-you-food-addict
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've found some (free online) hypnosis YouTube videos to be really helpful, both at reducing the stress that proceeds or follows a binge, and also helpful in reducing the amount I consume during one. They helped me to find, and stick to, other non-destructive coping mechanisms. I couldn't afford to see a therapist, so reading around the subject (library books) and these videos have been incredibly helpful.
    I like to listen to them before I go to sleep, but also in the day if I have a moment, as sometimes they're so effective at getting me to sleep at the end of the day, that I don't hear what's being said !

Overcoming binge eating is a slow process, and there'll be times when you'll find it easy to control it and times when its the opposite... especially when there are other factors at play (ie stress in general, pre-menstrual sugar cravings, having feelings that you need to 'stuff down' and following a strict weight reduction diet were some of mine)
    It's important to not feel that you have 'failed' if you binge. It's a process, not something that you can flick a mental switch for and it's suddenly all gone :)
    Be kind to yourself when things aren't going well... not punishing yourself will help you in the process of finding an emotional and physical balance.

Can you provide a link to the you tube hypnosis video?