Not eating and feeling gold

Options
Hello MFP Friends,

I've cut my calorie in take down to 1200 or less a day... I seem to be waking up in the night really cold and struggle to get warm... That's with pjs and 2 duvets!!

Is this because I'm getting less calorie fuel? Anyone else experienced this?

K

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Why so low? Is 1200 the goal Myfitnesspal gave you?
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No.........it depends where you live and how cold it is at night. I am on 1000 cals a day plus exercise.......everyone is different........1200 isn't right for everyone! Check your weight for your height on google and don't go any less!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No.........it depends where you live and how cold it is at night. I am on 1000 cals a day plus exercise.......everyone is different........1200 isn't right for everyone! Check your weight for your height on google and don't go any less!

Actually, feeling cold is a symptom associated with eating very low calories (this is a really common complaint of JUDDDers on their down days).

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Unless you are quite petite, 1200 may be too low. I'm with @rileysowner: Did MFP give you this goal? How much do you have to lose, and what weight loss rate did you set MFP for? Have you lost quite a lot already? Are you getting exercise, and if so are you eating back some of those calories as well?

Please don't listen to anyone who tells you to eat a very low calorie level, and dismisses your experience out of hand as unrelated to your diet. (It may or may not be, but if it is diet-related, a calorie increase may be a healthier choice than an extra blanket.)
  • jtd2001
    jtd2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Feeling cold is also a symptom of thyroid issues
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    Common issue in severe restriction. Your body is reacting to the restriction by reducing the NEAT component of TDEE as much as it possibly can. Your core temperature is currently reduced as one aspect of this adjustment.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Under 1200 cals is too low. Being cold is also a side affect of anorexia. I really suggest you eat more...it's not healthy and your body will go
    Into "starvation mode" and your metabolism will slow
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Eating less than 1200 calories isn't necessarily unhealthy btw.
    And I'm sure you're not anorexic. It depends on the quality of the calories. If you're eating a ton of food and its just a low calorie food like leafy greens, its not going to kick you into starvation mode.

I'm not a nutritionist but I've done enough research to know this isn't the case.
    I'd be curious to see your diary before making a judgement on your intake. All foods are NOT created equally.
    If you ate a 1000 calorie cheeseburger everyday and nothing else, then I'd be concerned.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    suzely0530 wrote: »
    Under 1200 cals is too low. Being cold is also a side affect of anorexia. I really suggest you eat more...it's not healthy and your body will go
    Into "starvation mode" and your metabolism will slow

'Starvation mode' doesn't exist.
    And I'm sure you're not anorexic. It depends on the quality of the calories. If you're eating a ton of food and its just a low calorie food like leafy greens, its not going to kick you into starvation mode.

I'm not a nutritionist but I've done enough research to know this isn't the case.
    I'd be curious to see your diary before making a judgement on your intake. All foods are NOT created equally.
    If you ate a 1000 calorie cheeseburger everyday and nothing else, then I'd be concerned.

Eating less than 1200 is unhealthy unless you are older and very short. Otherwise, it is impossible to get all the nutrients you need.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Oh wow. I don't know where to start.

Do I go with the usual "but a calorie is a unit of measurement" argument? Skip to how you need a variety and balance of different types of foods to get your macro and micro nutrients, up to and including fat, and "just low calorie foods" won't get you there? Do I point out that even "bad" foods like cheeseburgers can be healthy? Or do I share my real concern that the OP either has or is heading to an eating disorder at worst and an unhealthy relationship with food at best?

I can't pick. So I'll just go to the lowest common MFP denominator: gifs.

giphy.gif

For what it's worth, @ksimpson98 I hope you're doing well with your diet in terms of health. If you have concerns over feeling cold and with exteme diet effects, consult a doctor.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The only time I experienced this type of coldness was when I botched a diet plan and screwed up my nutrition.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

You need to eat more. Your last post said you don't want extra skin hanging around your setting yourself up to do so. 1200 should be your minimum and it should be more if you're exercising.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Yep, that pretty much sums up your post :p
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Up your calorie intake to the reccomended 1200 minimum... probably more would be fine.
    See a doctor.