Tips?

Options
Does anyone have any tips for mealtimes to make eating less easier? I've noticed that drinking a glass of water before each meal helps me, as well as using smaller plates to make my plate look full. And I never ever ever eat out of a container....I always put a serving on a plate and eat just that. So I was wondering if anyone else has any tips or tricks that they use......

Replies

• jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to eat an apple before going to parties or out to dinner because it would make me eat less..no joke! I heard it years ago and have done it for quite a while. It's the fiber in the apple supposedly that fills you up. Quirky I know :tongue:
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    glucomannan fiber caps opened and mixed in with something liquidy you eat not drink to fill your belly an absorb excess that needs to make its way out.

water

protein to fill up and stay satisfied.

gum in between meals for me keeps my mouth busy and makes my jaw too tired to eat and fill up on other stuff
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    Serve yourself from the counter or stovetop -- do not bring the food to the table and serve from there (helps stop going for 2nds).
    Don't put the salt shaker on the table.
    Teach the kids to scrape off what they don't eat directly into the composting bin so you're not tempted to "help" them.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I share a meal with my wife. Or cut the meal in half for leftovers. I had a problem that when there is food on my plate I always felt I needed to eat the whole thing. But I have slowly trained myself to change from “stop when full” to “stop when no longer feeling hungry”. Which I found is about half what I usually eat.
  • ethmoid
    ethmoid Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree, a fiber boost snack helps curve your appetite. I've been eating a vitatop muffin for a snack- it has 100 calories and 9 grams of fiber(they are really delicious too)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I agree about the fiber boost and water, however, for fiber I would go with fruit or veggies. You're getting good fiber and lower calories, a small spinach/romaine lettuce/bell pepper salad is 5g of fiber and less than 80 calories(if you use lemon juice as your dressing)
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been pretty much filling my plate with salad before I put anything else onto it - that way there's less room for high-calorie stuff. And if I'm still hungry after I've finished my meal.... more salad!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised the IF community hasn't come aboard this train yet and started craming their "truths" down our throats...lol

I prefer a meal every couple hours... I never feel hungry this way. Plus I never feel starved and don't feel like gorging myself when meal time does come around. when I say meal... I mean food regardless of size.. not necessarily a actually 3 course meal. Just something to put in my stomach besides water. I've always like it this way and it has always given me good results. But as long as you find something that works for you, the details are just fluff... as long as your cals and macro nutrients are good by the end of the day... you have nothing to worry about. Plus I feel more stable this way without all the peaks and dips...hence the reason I don't have the urge to gorge.

Good luck on your journey!