Need advice on wedding related topic! :)

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
We both have A LOT of out of town family and friends since neither of us is originally from the area we live in now. This being said, I think welcome bags would be very nice to do, yet with how many we would need I think it could get very costly, so are they necessary? If we do them, this is what I was thinking of going with-
A welcome letter thanking them for coming and listing the time and place of ceremony in case they forgot their invite
A list of contacts in case they have any problems or questions (myself, fiance, and a couple other people who know what's going on)
A list of a few nice restaurants
I'm a baker, so I was also going to include mini loaves of banana bread and some cookies
Bottled water

Is this enough to include in the welcome bag? This is something that would be within our budget to do. Also, we have people with a lot of kids coming in, should we have the hotel hand out one bag per family or one bag per so many people? How much of each thing (water, bread, cookies) should I include in each bag?

Thank you for your help and advice!!!

Replies

• Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I think your welcome bag is an awesome idea!!!
    My guess is include enough for each person... ie if there is a plus one add one for the plus one.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    usually its one per couple but it is up to you, for our wedding favors we bought hershey bars and we made our own wrapper
    it was cute and i dont know a single person who doesnt love chocolate and it was cheap
  • spambubbles
    spambubbles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think your welcome bags sounds wonderful. I did not do a welcome bag, only a favor for the actual wedding day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do this for our wedding but it just didn't get done, so it's not necessary but what you suggested sounds nice. I think it would be hard to figure out how to do more than one basket per room, unless you could do a kids basket too that would go to families with children. Sounds like good info and the edibles are nice.
    congrats on your wedding!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. And making the bread yourself gives it a very nice, personal touch. My only suggestion would be *not* to list yourself and fiance on the contacts list. Do you really want people calling either of you when you already have so much to worry about in the days before and of the wedding? That's what the best man and maid of honor and parents are for.
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am really self preserving money because of the economy so what i did was go to michaels in your area or marshalls they have those wedding stations where you can pick up bulk items for no more than 10 with like 100 different ideas for gift bags then go to the dollar store in your area if they have a wedding sections you should be able to get the bags and location tags and what ever else you want to do ...It did not cost me more than 20.00 to do..the only thing i had to do was bag everything and send in mail the only thing expensive is the postage...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Shoot! I had people come from out of town and I wouldn't have even thought to do that.

Its a cute idea, but in my opinion the Reception is a party for them, kinda as a we appreciate you coming. So my opinion would be to not splurge, but if you think doing something nice like that would fit your budget then go for it.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful idea. And making the bread yourself gives it a very nice, personal touch. My only suggestion would be *not* to list yourself and fiance on the contacts list. Do you really want people calling either of you when you already have so much to worry about in the days before and of the wedding? That's what the best man and maid of honor and parents are for.

That's true, I think I want to add my number because I'm kind of a "If there's a problem I need to know about it and fix it" kind of person lol