ADR Surgery (Artifical Disc Replacement)

Options
Ahzuri
Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
My husband is having this surgery next week to replace a ruptured disc in his lower back (Yay hereditary degenerative disc disease /sarcasm) and I was wondering if any of you had ever had ADR what were your recovery experiences like? What exercises were you able to do and what was off limits forever? I know these things vary from person to person and how successful the surgery is but I'd like to hear some personal experiences.

We haven't had a chance to talk to the doctor about what his physical restrictions after the surgery will be yet but he goes in for pre-op the 5th and we are going to ask all of our questions then. Right now he weight lifts; hes been trying to put on muscle this year because he hates being as thin as he is (125lbs) so I guess what I'm wondering is if he will be able to continue weight lifting after the surgery. We are of course going to consult with the doctor before he does anything and his recovery will be about 6 months so I don't think he would be doing it until then. It won't change anything about him getting the surgery because its either this or be in severe pain for the rest of his life with possible nerve damage but I was just curious.

(Yes I know this is kinda off topic but its still about exercise and I feel more comfortable asking you lot than going to some other random site :) )

Replies

• khinojos1
    khinojos1 Posts: 6
    Options
    wow I feel his pain. I have those same problems but they have never offered me that surgery. Please let us know how he is doing afterwards.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    He tried everything else before they offered up the surgery except the steroid injections (his doctors don't view them as a real solution) so hes been dealing with it for something like 8 months now. Will defiantly give a update on how he is doing.