Twitchig or tiny "popping" in thighs after workout?

Options
So about a month ago I noticed after my workout , I felt tiny little pops in my thighs, all over them, or tiny twitches. It usually happens when im on the treadmill for a long time, They don't hurt, and last only about 10 minutes, but its kinda trippin me out. Does anybody know what the heck this is???

Replies

• Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I always have this after I used my stationary bike. So it's probably normal. :smile:
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mine do this too, I just figured it was muscles working.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I think your sweat irritates your skin. i have this problem too, and if don't take a shower right away it will persist.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tiny muscle spasm...try increasing calcium and/or potassium. That shoud help.
  • triciaw1975
    Options
    I always have this after I used my stationary bike. So it's probably normal. :smile:

Same thing happens to me.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing, and attribute it to muscles reacting to the work.
  • misskate719
    Options
    Wow- seems pretty common. Thought there was something wrong w me- lol- thanks everyone!
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    This is a normal thing. It's your bodies way of saying, "Good job!" Your muscles are contracting and relaxing, I call it "jumping", because you've just given them a good workout.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It often happens after a long, slow workout where you are only one one machine or doing one thing (whatever level of time/difficulty that may be for you - for me it's like 90 minutes on the treadmill or 2 hours walking, but when I first started it would happen after only 30 minutes). During the workout, your muscles are repeatedly firing over and over again in a pretty rhythmic, predictable way. After a while, they sort of go on "autopilot", so when you stop working out, they keep going for a little while (that twitching is your muscles firing). Then eventually they realize there is no more reason to fire and calm down. :)
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    First time I had this I was very worried aswell!! So don't feel silly for asking :smile: At the time I checked on google and found it was quite common.
  • melysa84
    melysa84 Posts: 3
    Options
    You can prevent this by doing a good cool-down after your workout and making sure to stay super hydrated.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's your bodies reaction to help deliver nutrients to your body. Kind of like a secondary heart.. the twitching pumps blood. At least that's what I've read... how true it is...I'm not sure. Makes sense to me though, since they're quick frequent jolts and not like cramps. As long as it's not painful twitches (cramps) I think it just your bodies way of helping with recovery. I get them too after a long run or workout session.
  • Rower471
    Rower471 Posts: 4
    Options
    I actually had this all over my body due to me going a bit crazy at training. I spoke to the doctor and was told that it is perfectly normal and just your body repairing and getting itself back to normal.
    So long as it isn't painful you don't have to worry.

The advice that I was given was to carry on as before and to make sure that I had decent off days to let me body have time to repair. :)
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think its increased circulation to muscles & the skin surface
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Up your potassium consumption. Bananas and coconut water are good sources of both potassium and calcium. I would recommend the coconut water as it has more potassium and electrolytes.