anyone find success with 10k steps a day?

Options
Just curious :) I'm really not a gym person but I love to go walking and hiking since I live in the mountains so I'm just wondering if anyone has found success with walking 10k+ steps a day :)

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Only one time I was able to achieve 8k steps - I forced myself to do it because I ate an extra slice of pizza. Otherwise I'm happy with anywhere close to 4k a day.

I lift and do other exercises that's why I'm not to concerned with it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I walk for exercise. I usually go about 3-4 miles so in addition to my regular steps that usually puts me from 10000-13000 a day. So far I have lost 38 pounds. Your diet is what is most important for losing weight. If you are not eating at a deficit it won't matter how many steps you take. But if you are eating at a deficit then the walking will certainly help.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I generally try to get out and walk 1-2 hours 3-4x/week. I usually go at least 3.2 miles, which is just over 6000 steps. But a good portion of the time I go 5 miles, which is about 10K steps. I much prefer it to the gym, although once summer hits I'll be hitting the gym more often because it is WAY TOO humid where I live.

I have successfully lost 19 pounds thus far, since early January. My only exercise is walking. The longest distance I've walked in one activity is 9 miles - hoping to go 10 this weekend!
  • katiev111
    katiev111 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I walk for exercise. I usually go about 3-4 miles so in addition to my regular steps that usually puts me from 10000-13000 a day. So far I have lost 38 pounds. Your diet is what is most important for losing weight. If you are not eating at a deficit it won't matter how many steps you take. But if you are eating at a deficit then the walking will certainly help.

Good to know :) I definitely eat at a deficit :) I just can't sit inside a gym....I need to go outside !!
  • chrisso802016
    chrisso802016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hard to say for me, because I'm really just getting started. I'm sticking to my calorie goals, and getting more exercise than ever, so I am seeing drastic changes in everything for me.

The 10k mark though is not at all a goal. My fitbit goes crazy when I hit it, and have been doing so more lately. When it does, I sure do get a good mental buzz from it.

So outside of encouragement, I think it's helping me lose.

Just trying to ignore those "Exercise Calories"........
  • katiev111
    katiev111 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yay Jayne !!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I walk outside with my dog at a park near my home. I love it. I don't live near the mountains, but the park is pretty hilly and part of the track has stairs so I get a lot of up and down. It is a lot more fun for me than the gym. I just don't think I could stick with a treadmill.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I walk for my exercise on my treadmill, but my main source of success is making sure I do not eat too much. Today, basically I walk more to eat more and get a slight bump up in a deficit. Days that I have the time to walk, I walk anywhere from 3 to 6 miles. I do try and get 10K steps a day, but for what I do for work, that can be hard to do.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My steps are usually just a result of living my life, not exercise. So my doctor advised me not to think of 10k steps of daily activities as "exercise", so I personally think unless your steps include at least 30 total minutes of a nicely elevated heart rate you'll perhaps see slow results. That's been my experience. I'm starting 3-4 days of actual exercise per week now and seeing if that helps move things along.
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and try to hit a minimum of 10k steps a day-normally average between 11-15k. I have lost 29 pounds since January but, as with posters above, it's the deficit that counts-the steps allow me to eat a bit more and I also find walking has helping me reduce stress (a lot) so I don't emotionally eat like I used to
  • dolfnlvr21
    dolfnlvr21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it helps if you have a lot of weight to lose and you were sedentary. I have a desk job so hitting 10K at first was difficult. Now i've found it pretty easy to make it and strive for 15 most day and 20K if I'm feeling especially motivated. I get my steps from walking around the neighborhood and using an elliptical. I've lose 22 lbs since February.

With that being said - I've also been careful with what I eat and make sure I am at a deficit and with exercise calories I'm usually 500+ deficit each day.

Fitbit is set to 1.5lbs loss each week, MFP is set the same with activity level of sedentary so all my "work" in fitbit counts.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have to go longer to lose. 100k a week is about average. Stress relief + deficit enhancement.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    This really depends on your definition of "success".
    Walking is great, it's good for your general health, bone density, and often good for mental health too.
    If you mean "will it help me lose weight?" - well, the answer to that really lies in the balance of calories in and out. If you have a moderate calorie deficit from food and exercise, there's no reason why you won't lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Today I walked 53289 steps (22 miles).... shocking! I did it for my 53rd birthday. I may not be ABLE to walk tomorrow LOL

Holy crap, well done!!! How long did it take you?

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @scolaris happy birthday.
    <3, h.

Personally I prefer a bottle of bubbles, but well done on your walk.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Not true. Any deficit is important for weight loss. I have lost weight without even trying when I increased my physical activities.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That's coming haitch... Hahaha

• aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I walk daily for my exercise. I average a little less thank 10k a day right now, but my goal is to be 10k a day before summer. So I say, YES, walking can lead to success.