Waning Motivation

Options
Morning (or afternoon if you're elsewhere in the world!),

Erm... the title pretty much sums it up!

My motivation to exercise has dropped to virtually non-existent of late! I don't know how to rekindle it... I literally googled "how to stay motivated to exercise" or words to that effect. Most of the suggestions I've already read previously so they weren't remotely inspiring or illuminating at all, with the exception of one response by Jillian Michaels :-/

I’ve been forcing myself through workouts but there’s no pleasure in it at the moment & I’ve been feeling cold all the time (except when working out or in the bath) for coming up to 3 months so all I feel like doing is curling up inside the duvet… But I don’t, I drag myself out of bed between 1.30-2.30 a.m. (being awake anyway- thanks insomnia). So cold all the time, I don’t get it, most of my life I’ve been overly boiling across different weights and levels of fitness, bit random.

Anyway, motivation, motivation. How do you find it when you think it’s hit rock bottom?

Generally I do go through spells of exercise/healthy eating etc. and the opposite (which obviously isn’t a healthy long-term strategy) so it’s not totally unexpected, but I’m nowhere near my target weight so can’t afford to lose the motivation at this stage.

Any advice gratefully received!

Replies

• katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this?
  • mediimp
    mediimp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Set yourself a goal, at 48 I have set myself the goal of competing in my first sprint triathlon in September.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    For motivation i suggest setting some short term goals along with your long term goals. Those little achievements keep me going and they say it's all about the journey and not just the destination .. And they are right. Having said that it is hard to stay motivated but I have come to the realization that it is a life style change/ mind frame that must occur so that we not only achieve our goals but stay there or most likely make new goals because you can always better yourself so we must keep growing (Mentally physically emotionally ) .Best way I find to achieve my goals when I can't trust myself to stay motivated is to incorporate the things that need to be done to achieve them in my everyday routine. If you set a routine and just do it you will see results and hopefully jumpstart your motivation and if not at the very least when time passes and you look back you'll realize that even if you didn't enjoy the process you didn't waste your precious time and actually got things done. The ultimate goal would be to enjoy the process but the latter is still better than not doing anything to achieve your goals and maybe even moving further away from them.

For the cold , sounds a bit extreme maybe you need to go to the doc make sure your blood pressure is ok?
  • ejllewellyn85
    ejllewellyn85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    katie22 I'm not following the gist of your message, the question is a bit vague. Do you mean to remember my long-term goals & keep plodding on until I reach them?

mediimp, you're brave! Sounds rather intense! Good luck with that! I do have goals but at the moment it's primarily weight loss, so once I've reached my target weight presumably then I can reassess them & see what the next stage brings ;-)

hzl22 Yep, thanks for that. Aerosmith said something along the same lines about life being a journey haha, whichever song it was... I had my blood pressure checked earlier in the year & the GP said it was normal, I've booked to have my hormones checked out in case it's in any way linked to that department... Oh the joys of being female!

Anyway, thanks all, the motivation issue's resolved itself already but your words of wisdom are appreciated nonetheless. Bon voyage!
  • deedoe83
    deedoe83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If the cold continues have the doc check your thyroid. Is there a lack of energy involved? That is also a sign of hypothyroid. Good luck