exercising to burn off what I ate

Options
Everybody always talks about eating back exercise calories....like it's a struggle to do that??... Is there anyone like me with the opposite issue?... I over eat and so then I have to exercise to be at my net calorie goal??..... Since I'm technically eating back my exercise calories(just before I exercise).... Does this in the end get me to the same result?... Or would I gain weight?..

Replies

• AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    nope. I always do that.

Its the same concept, and it works for me :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It the same thing as far as I'm concerned. I try to log my whole day of eating ahead of time and then gauge how much I need to work out based on that. If I'm only a couple hundred over, I know I can take it easy in the gym or maybe earn enough to have a treat or drink after dinner too. If I'm quite a bit over (like if I know we're getting take-out for dinner) I try to burn as much as I can to even things out.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    it's the same exact thing.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I play both sides of this game.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that eating back your exercise calories is a simplistic statement that needs to be put in the context of where you are in your fitness journey and what you've been eating or not eating :)

I am more a proponent of eating back your exercise calories occasionally.
    If you have been dieting hard for a week, have a day where you eat back what you've burned off. I would also try to focus my carbohydrate intake and higher calories post workout (due to insulin).

Experiment with lowering your carbohydrates and then plan on eating them back (clean / good sources).

In the end, the more restrictive the diet the more necessary for a re-feed - particularly when carbohydrates are being lowered.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/grunt1/view/optimal-fat-loss-beyond-exercise-calories-117609
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have you just recently (within the last few weeks) changed you exercise habits? I am like you too. I started Insanity a little over a month ago and the first few weeks I was ravenous ALL the time, eating more than my allotted calories. If you've recently started an exercise program, specially a high intensity one, it's absolutely normal to feel the way you do. The feeling will go away after a couple weeks. Your body gets used to your burn routine and you can control your hunger better with foods that are better for you. How's your protein intake? What are you doing for exercise?
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ************************************I am not a doctor, I just know from experience. I used to do this. How much are you binging before you go work out? How long are your workouts usually? Very very important.

I am asking because I was an exercise bulimic. I would eat, feel horrible, then go immediatley to burn it off. it was a nightmare. So I stopped eating so much...until I became anorexic. But I didn't stop working out.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    I am always hungry as well and almost always eat ALL of my exercise calories and sometimes more. I never have understood the people that say they can't. Even though I wish I could say that.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Everybody always talks about eating back exercise calories....like it's a struggle to do that??... Is there anyone like me with the opposite issue?... I over eat and so then I have to exercise to be at my net calorie goal??..... Since I'm technically eating back my exercise calories(just before I exercise).... Does this in the end get me to the same result?... Or would I gain weight?..

This is pretty much what I do.

I've already planned out my meals for today and am with in 86 calories of my goal. Once I exercise and add that in, it just creates a bigger deficit.. and to me that's not be an issue of yet. I find that I steadily lose weight when I eat 1300 to 1400 calories and then exercise leaving me with a net of between 1000-1200. If I'm really hungry that night(like I had a personal training session) then I will dip into the exercise calories a bit and eat more.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I would say in many ways its sensible: A lot of people struggle to 'eat back their exercise calories' because work our in the evening and they don't like to eat late at night!

Weight loss really is as simple as calories in vs calories out - and you can net the calories over a week in my opinion.

Fitness Training and Body Building is more complex. You must think about what your body needs during the day and plan your meals and snacks accordingly.

I find that having a protein shake during the day fills me up & makes me feel a whole lot better during and after working out. The one I have is 20g protein & 80 cals. No carbs. If I do a long work out I do weights for an hour, eat half have a protein & carb bar (400 cals total!) and then do an hour CV and finish the rest of the bar at the end.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Weight loss really is as simple as calories in vs calories out - and you can net the calories over a week in my opinion.

Fitness Training and Body Building is more complex. You must think about what your body needs during the day and plan your meals and snacks accordingly.

perfectly said. Wish I could repost in some of these outrageous forum talks I have seen.