using creatine...

Options
my husband is trying to loose weight and bulk up so he is going to try he creatine. is this something that i should be drinking also? im just now starting to try this loosing weight thing again and ive read that it makes it alittle harder to loose weight but increases your activity level. ..anyone know anything about it or if there is something i SHOULD be taking?

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    try diet and exercise, u will lose weight that way. u don't need to buy any product to lose weight.
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    try diet and exercise, u will lose weight that way. u don't need to buy any product to lose weight.

thats what i figure and am doing, my hubby thought i needed to use it so i was seeing if i was suppose to
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    my husband is trying to loose weight and bulk up so he is going to try he creatine.

He kind of needs to decide on one or the other, you can't bulk up and lose weight at the same time. To bulk you need to be at a caloric surplus. Losing weight means being a caloric deficit.
    is this something that i should be drinking also? im just now starting to try this loosing weight thing again and ive read that it makes it alittle harder to loose weight but increases your activity level. ..anyone know anything about it or if there is something i SHOULD be taking?

No you don't have to or need to take it. Creatine comes naturally in red meat. The reason some take it is that helps your muscles out to squeeze in an extra few reps than it normally would per say. It doesn't make you gain real weight, but does contribute to you retaining water (creatine bloat). It's one of those things that gets overhyped both the good (makes you super strong!) and the bad (1g destroys your kidneys!) and such.

Most people don't need it. You are probably talking about 1-2%, totally numbers I made it up but they will be low regardless, increase in performance so it comes down to what you feel is worth the money. All supplements for the most part are what you feel spending worth the little gain.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and simultaneously bulking up is kind of an oxymoron. To lose weight you need to be at a caloric defecit. To Bulk up means to do the exact opposite.

That aside, I used creatine for 4 months of lifting heavy and saw no evidence that it did anything for me. If you are going to sue creatine, generally 5gs after your wokrout is the amount and best time to take it. Get something that is 100% micronized creatine. Creatine with other additives will tend to cause some bloating in people.

Creatine is not recommended for women who are pregnant, breast feeding or might become pregnant.

I no longer take it. Just lift heavy and do some carido and you'll both do fine.
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    my husband is trying to loose weight and bulk up so he is going to try he creatine.

He kind of needs to decide on one or the other, you can't bulk up and lose weight at the same time. To bulk you need to be at a caloric surplus. Losing weight means being a caloric deficit.

i guess i should have specified. he isnt trying to loose to much weight. he spends more time on the weights but does spend some time doing cardio. he is 5 10 and weights about 175. i dont think he needs to loose any more.
  • TankPKDW
    TankPKDW Posts: 4
    Options
    Creatine won't "make it harder" to lose weight. If you're trying a weight lifting routine, even a moderate or bodyweight-only routine, it can help your muscles recover more quickly and allow you to workout more effectively (ie more reps or more weight). It WILL force more water into your muscles, which may cause you to retain a little more water, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as water weight loss isn't "real weight loss"... you're presumably trying to cut fat, not water. However, if you're going to be doing mostly cardio or very light weight workouts, you won't receive much benefit from supplemented creatine, and supplementing may actually reduce your body's ability to produce and absorb creatine on it's own. If you decide to take it, make sure you follow the recommended dosages. Also consider cycling the supplements, for instance, take it for 3-5 weeks, then take a couple weeks off, etc. I would recommend starting a regular workout routine without supplements (other than maybe a multivitamin) first, and if/when you hit a plateau or feel you should be doing better, slowly work in supplements. Remember, hard work is the key. Creatine can be nice, but it's not magic.