When should I eat protein bars?

Options
I ordered a box of Quest peanut butter protein bars since a few people here recommended them. I was originally thinking I'd eat them for breakfast since most days I don't get to make a well rounded breakfast however I saw a lot of comments about eating them after a workout to refuel. I usually eat dinner after I work out so would it be a better idea for me to eat one in the morning? Does it matter?

Replies

• pretzels113
    pretzels113 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good question, i would like to know the answer too!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    After workout is ideal. I sometimes have one in the afternoon since I workout late.

But generally, protein is good after a workout. Hope the bars or 17grams or more of protein and around 200 calories........
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 to 4 Pure Protein bars a day. Since you don't eat breakfast I would eat the bar then, and you could also eat another one after your workout.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I eat a Clif Builders bar for my afternoon snack every day. They're nearly 100% organic, and helps with the sweet tooth.

Not the best source of protein. I can get the same amount in 4 ounces of chicken without any of the fat and carbs.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter that much, if I have one I use it as a meal replacement like if I am on the road and would normally eat that time, or if I am running behind in the mornings. Depending on how soon you eat after you get done with your workout, making it post workout works well too.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ill have a protein bar if im on the go and dont have time for my regular meal or snack. I prefer to have normal foods instead of a bar. but Ill have one after a hard workout or after a long run in my car just so i can replenish my muscles before i get home.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    It all depends on who you ask.

P90X says not to eat them before your workout and to eat them after your workout (within 30 minutes).

PowerBar's website says you can eat them before or after a workout. If you eat it before a workout make sure it is 30-60 minutes before the workout.

I think that it should be used as a snack between breakfast and lunch, or lunch and dinner. Depending on when your workout is you may even eat it as an after dinner snack to refuel for tomorrow's workout. I know that I felt really good when I ate one 30 minutes before my workout, but it could have been all in my head or something else.

I do suggest that you eat it with 14-20oz of water though. It helps absorb it into your bloodstream faster. Make sure you take your time and eat it too. Chew it 20-32 times per bite, this also helps.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    After workout is ideal. I sometimes have one in the afternoon since I workout late.

But generally, protein is good after a workout. Hope the bars or 17grams or more of protein and around 200 calories........

They do have 20g protein and 17g fiber with "no junk". I think I'll eat them in the morning on days I don't have a good breakfast otherwise 30-45m before workout then.

Thanks guys! =)
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I eat them whenever I want one, but NEVER as a meal replacement. I work out in the morning, so a protein-filled breakfast follows. I may eat a bar as a snack before or after my martial arts class in the evening. If I have a sweet tooth, I grab an all natural protein bar and I'm satisfied.