reaching (net)1200 calories

hmiller2011
hmiller2011 Posts: 28
So I'm a little curious how to do this. I'm a breastfeeding mom so it puts me at -500 calories to begin with. I don't like not working out so I usually do at least one workout video or walk for an hour,sometimes both. That puts me anywhere between -600 to - 900. How am I suppose to eat almost 2000 calories a day to net 1200 without putting my body into starvation mode? Or should I just eat as much as I can without "over eating" no matter what my net calories say? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    I do a net of 1200 cals a day as well. I jsut aim for 1200 cals total eaten, not the 1200 plus whatever I burned exercising. I find this easy as I usually eat around 1400 cals a day if I exercise a lot.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Getting those calories in is even MORE important when you're breastfeeding... if you aren't getting enough that translates over to the little one too...Lots of healthy calorie rich snacks.... like avocado and almonds... peanut butter and almond butter... maybe you could cut back on the workouts a tiny bit (not stop, just lessen the time and calorie burn) and work back up to it while you're working the cals up too...
  • muelle71
    muelle71 Posts: 7
    The real answer to your question should come from your doctor, but of course working out post-pregnancy is a must. So is healthy eating while brestfeeding. Eat lots of lean protein, whole grains, and healthy fats, and you should have no problem. Try switching to whole milk, studies show that it actually aids in weight loss because the additional fat makes you feel full for longer. Avocados, nuts, olive oil, everything you already know is full of healthy fat. Good luck!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Getting those calories in is even MORE important when you're breastfeeding... if you aren't getting enough that translates over to the little one too...Lots of healthy calorie rich snacks.... like avocado and almonds... peanut butter and almond butter... maybe you could cut back on the workouts a tiny bit (not stop, just lessen the time and calorie burn) and work back up to it while you're working the cals up too...
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    I could be full off 200calories a day if I wanted...so I wouldn't suggest just eating till ur full!

Just eat higher calorie foods... nuts, peanut butter, rice, raisins, banana, cheese...etc... if u eat higher calorie foods to replace low calorie options u wont have a problem filling up calories...today im eating 2500calories, can look at my diary if u want....although mine doesn't include excercise, but ull see for breakfast instead of a portion of cereal I doubled it cuz normal portions of cereal leave me hungry... lunch im having double serving brown rice (cuz half a cup of rice isn't enough), snacks im having banana and peanut butter as one snack and double serving of grapes as the other... and my dinner im splurging a little outside my normal foods with grilled cheese sandwichs.
  • Thank you all so much!
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Walking for an hour doesn't burn 600-900 calories. MFP overestimates a lot of work out stuff. Also if you are breastfeeding you can't eat less than 1500 calories a day. If you do you will see a drop in your milk supply. You shouldn't have trouble eating 1500 calories a day especially breastfeeding. Figure 400 calorie meals and 3 100 calorie snacks and there you go. A turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread is around 320 calories, pair that with an apple and there's a 400 cal meal. Breastfeeding makes me ravenous! You don't hve to eat back your exercise calories just make sure you are eating at least 1500 calories of food a day.
This discussion has been closed.