Mashed Potatoes!!!

Options
MissiKline
MissiKline Posts: 6 Member
I love them! But the carbs!!! Argh!!! Tried mashed cauliflower. My family didn't like the consistency. On a whim I thought I'd try half potatoes & half cauliflower. Boiled them together. Drained & mashed as usual. OMG! You cannot tell there's cauliflower innit! Tastes like REAL mashed potatoes!!! And HALF the carbs!!! Had friends over. The man doesn't like cauliflower. Would NOT believe me when I told him there was cauliflower in them... Score!

Replies

• ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome. Ive been wanting to try cauliflower mash but was worried half potatoes os a great idea
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Smart idea!! I've wanted to try that recipe for awhile but my kids said no !! then NO!! lol 1/2 an half might work.. going to try it next Sunday dinner! thanks :)
  • MissiKline
    MissiKline Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! Let me know how they turn out & how it goes with the Fam!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When i do mashed cauliflower i pat as much water out as possible then use my immersion blender..gets them all smooth and creamy.. bit of cream cheese, parmesan and minced garlic and i can hardly tell the difference.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of half the potato and half the cauliflower. I am never going to give up potatoes. I add portabello mushrooms minced and sautéed to my ground beef to cut the calories but keep the flavor
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I want to try C:<
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like to add other vegetables to mashed potatoes to bulk them up too! More volume, fewer calories.

I mash in kale or spinach, broccoli, half sweet potato or squash. Obviously your family will see the greens, but I still think it's tasty. Garlic, shallots, cheeses (bleu cheese or feta adds a lot of flavor with just a little cheese).
    I also like to use buttermilk to mash and reduce the butter and sour cream I add. Flavor is great!

One other thing - I puree cauliflower into potato soup all the time! It makes it creamy with way less milk or heavy cream. Potato + cauliflower is a great texture, IMO!
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes and I love mashed cauliflower but I admit I never tried mixing both.

How do you prepare them? I usually add milk and a bit of butter to potatoes, but just cream cheese or laughing cow to cauliflower... so I'm not sure which one I should try?
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Potatoes aren't bad for you, every thing in moderation! You should never have to give up anything, just modify